What drives you making music?

Was walking around the house tonight and was just thinking about this one…

What is it what drives/motivates you making music? Keep going…

• Is it just because of happiness or joy?
• That you can earn money with it?
• Just spending time and moving some samples, just for fun…
• Because of seeing that you are improving?

What ever it is, write it down, I am quite curious!

Kind regards,
Alexey (JLX)
@jlx_music

3 Likes

Great questions, and while I am sure we all have different perspectives, I honestly believe most of us have this inner fire, like the soul of an artist. We need to create stuff. For example, I always go around humming melodies, riffs, themes, rhythms. I can not stop myself, and sometimes I even do it in public without even thinking about it lol :smiley:

3 Likes

Haha I do it too. Always tapping around, never can sit still…want to find new rhythms and riffs :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have enjoyed making music for as long as I can remember. I was 11 years old when I first started to learn my instrument of choice. I tend to have melodies running around my head at various times of the day. Although this can get quite annoying when you wake up at 2am with a melody you just have to write down. Always have music manuscript near your bedside :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi everyone,
For me I love to create,to start with nothing and hopeful start to create something cool :sunglasses: well I try

Their times I just pick my guitar and just make up a new chord I have never herd before by just adding one interval to another until I have some kind of chord sometimes I donot have any idea what it is which why I been learning some basic theory
Not knowing or understanding is
I guess that would be part of exploring and experimenting process

Or try to learn a new rhythm and just work on it until I feel comfortable to actually use it

Summary I like sounds and music

Mike I too understand this so very well since I am at home most of the time due to mental illnesses I do this kind of thing all the time even drives my wife sometimes crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Insanity - or rather, desperately trying to stay (relatively) sane. :wink:

Seriously though, music is an escape for me, in multiple respects;

• Something sufficiently challenging and engaging to focus on, that is not software development.
  • Fighting burnout without descending into long term depression.
  • Possibly opening up career options outside software development eventually.

Basically, I’ve been in software development for way too long, and I’m burned out and have pretty much lost all interest in it. Adding to the frustration, that means my personal projects (games, engines and whatnot) have been stalled for years, and I might not touch them again until I’ve switched to a main career/job that doesn’t involve programming.

Why music? Well, there are a lot of reasons I keep returning to music, but I think a major part of it is that it’s a rather abstract from of expression, that can still result in a very physical and direct experience. Possibly brain damaged from all the coding, I want things to be structured, sensible, and “useful,” which doesn’t blend well with creative expression in general - but in music, I can quite literally enforce structure upon chaos, and come up with something that actually works.

And then of course, there is the playing of real acoustic instruments. The cello is probably the single most expensive “device” in my studio, and it will take years to master it in any remotely professional manner, but it’s probably the best investment I’ve ever made. DAWs these days are amazing and all, but the cello is magical, and when I pick it up, I can’t stop playing.

2 Likes

David, have you ever thought about starting a sample library/plugin company with your programming + music/sound skills? :smiley:

2 Likes

I have, and it’s still something that crosses my mind in one form or another from time to time. :slight_smile:

I’m particularly interested in scripting and real time synthesis in the context of interactive multimedia - which is what my Audiality 2 engine is all about. (It’s evolving into a “normal” modular synth, but the defining feature is that you can script everything with subsample accurate timing, allowing the implementation of custom synthesis methods etc.)

Planning on building an interactive demo reel with UE4, interactive music, live synthesis soundscapes and whatnot, and of course, wrapping Audiality 2 up as a plugin to do all sorts of weirdness in the DAW.

I don’t believe in doing what everyone else does - because lots of people are already doing it better than I ever will - so I’ll basically try to combine my odd set of skills, and see what it all adds up to.

2 Likes

I love this. Being bipolar for me this So very true thanks for sharing :+1:

1 Like