What do you think about HBO Spitfire Results?

Why this actually won over supposedly 11K submissions is a total mystery. If any music super accepted this cue his job would immediately be in question. Westworld, HBO would never air that sequence. Even beginning composers know, even civilians would certainly know this is nothing they have ever seen on commercial (professional US) TV. Spitfire would have had to know this as well They could get a pass if their families were being held hostage and they had no choice. But I doubt that. In the end this is by leaps and bounds the most inappropriate soundtrack I’ve ever heard for a given sequence, unless …a psudo-parody? But it fails that as well because it is far too distracting. Why this actually won over supposedly 11K submissions is a total mystery. They need to explain themselves, if they can. As it stands, they just mocked their entire current and future customer base. Who does that? Why?

2 Likes

I think most peoples problem with it came from the fact it a) broke competition rules and b) would never be used as a real cue ( at least to most peoples standards)

They put it off as a very serious competition , so most people took it that way so I can understand why the final cue felt like a bit of a slap.

Nothing against the winning track. I personally didn’t feel it added value to the scene, but it was well written in the style it was and well produced, so cant be mad at the guy who won, he just did his own take.

My guess is most ppl are annoyed at spitfire for the unclarity of it all. You can’t set a rule for a comp this big and then give the winner to the guy who broke it. It sets abad precedence for people wanting to enter these things in the future :slight_smile:

I do think people could have voiced their opinions better, and there’s absolutely NO need for ppl to slag off the winner the way some people on YT have, which is just uncalled for.

4 Likes

I did like the track, and I know the vision of the composer. But I respectfully disagree with the judges choices. Mainly because to pull that off, I would argue that there would be visual cues for the audience to see this “8-but perspective” that guy saw the world in when he took the drug. Right now it became a huge disconnect without those visual cues. However, I also respect other people’s decisions. And even if this was simply a marketing stunt (assuming we are cynical here), I still believe we should voice our opinions respectfully without cursing, blaming, “stomping on people” etc. Acting professionally to me, is almost like being a “gentleman”. Argue by all means, even harshly, but always always respectfully and with a good tone and attitude.

I am actually most annoyed with the 1000s of “composers” who expresses their opinion in a totally disrespectful way, even borderline “crazy” in some cases. If there is something I personally feel strongly about, and protect in this community and everywhere I am present…it is to ALWAYS act and treat others respectfully and professionally. Even if they are on the opposite side of your view point. That goes for religion, politics and everything else. We should never descend to “mad monkey state”. It’s sad to see, but trust me, those 1000s of composers that went into frenzy with bad attitude, language and complete lack of respect: They will NEVER be allowed in this community.

8 Likes

Hey Mike. Completely agree. I congratulate you for your fight against the unpolite behaviour. This forum is a real safe place, with a feeleing of friendship. Have you ever be in the trance to ban an unrespectful member?

3 Likes

Thank you Vicente, I miss the old “gentleman” days where people can disagree while still acting respectfully. On Facebook Groups that I run I have to kick people out all the time. For some reason, the culture we created here (every member is part of it) has made this atmosphere so much better than any other forum I ever been on. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I agree about this forum. Every single one here that I have had conversation with seems like really great, caring people. Keep it up @Mikael and soon you´ll have more followers than Spitfire :grinning:

5 Likes

i think its obvious that the it didn’t at all suit the scene at all. Trying to put a positive spin on it i think they chose it to try and encourage people to be more daring and try to be different. I also think they are appealing to their biggest emerging market which is composers creating music for games. lots of their new customers and potential new customers and students etc are wanting to be games composers so perhaps they are trying to make the community more inclusive for them and perhaps get the more traditional people to think outside the box etc. It certainly got everyone talking about composing which is pretty cool.

5 Likes

Hey welcome Gav, glad you decided to join the community! :slight_smile:
Yes I do agree with you that much of this was based on marketing on their part.

1 Like

I miss the days when you could disagree and still be friends. It seems that these days the generation coming up seem to think you have to have the same views on things, and if not then an attack is on the cards. This sadly seems the case everywhere and twitter seems to be one of the main culprits.

6 Likes

I like the way this site is programmed, as you can only like / :heart: the comment. Maybe YouTube makes sense to have dislike option in terms of rankings, but personal opinion is the freedom people have to have in order to feel like a human being - free will.

4 Likes

Yes perhaps that is a good thing. I have a feeling that young people these days just don’t know how to deal with rejection, and I get it because it’s tough… but it poses a question which is this, “is it the youths fault or the generations before?”

Now I’m very wary of that question as it’s just not a fair question. But I do think it’s one that constantly needs to be addressed.

3 Likes

Hi, Actually I couldn’t be a contester because I got to know about this contest few hours before the deadline. But I decided to make this track for my experience and self-satisfaction. But After I listened to the winner’s track, I wanted to upload this to grab some comments from other composers. So please listen and comment.

About the Results;
I expected more balanced and follow the rules result from Sptifire. They selected the winner who broke rules. Most of the other themes are beautiful, unpredictable and very creative. But most of the themes doesn’t blend with the scenes/video.

So I tried to make my track blend to the video. And this is my first track scoring to a video. Your comments are the most valuable thing to me. Thank you.
Link to my track:

Hi Geoff,
Dealing with rejection in these days is as heavy as to deal with errors. We are all overmanaged and overcriticized, so everybody wants to be perfect. See all these instagram stories of people showing their “wonderful” life - i call it bubble, because this life is nothing but fake. Everybody lives in a “Lie” and if they finally see the truth, they just realize, that they are living in a bubble. This is why they are angry.
Yes this could be a generation problem. No matter if Boomer, X, Y or Z, every generation tries to make it better or even different to the generation before. This explains the development you describe.
Because i have to work with so many different people irl (and thats what @jlx_music Alexey is describing too) I have always to be focused on actually how to tell somebody something. Its a big difference for me as a generation Y to talk to a boomer or a milennial, because they act and feel so different in their life / bubble.
But in fact, we all need to be more grateful and more humble in our lifes.

4 Likes

Good job Thush.
My feedback: Not bad to be your first. In my opinion, a chasing scene needs a higher intensity and rythm. But you have worked on what us happening and that is :+1:.

Thank you so much Vicente. You are the first comment.
And can you go little detailed on “But you have worked on what us happening and that is” ? If you don’t mind?
Thanks again Vicente.

I mean you have worked to follow the scene with you music, and it is something that i like. :+1:

Thank you so much…

Oh the „rejection“ topic hit me hard! I’ll make a separate post about it where I will share my thoughts and personal life experiences that opened my own eyes to myself if it sounds a little awkward. I believe that there was no better time in history of human beings where we are 100% responsible for our own destiny.

3 Likes

Yes it’s hot me hard too. Infact thr main reason I got a bit shaken with youtube was because I first did it at a time when Youtube Trolls came out in their worst and I couldn’t really handle it. As many couldn’t at that time. I was young and not prepared. These days I’m much more prepared but people shouldn’t have to go through that.

I’m also of the belief that there shouldn’t be a dislike it rom on youtube. It serves no purpose in my eyes.

2 Likes

A few years ago there was a pshychological study on YouTube comments. Back when Justin Bieber videos was new and got literall death threats in the comment section. Well, this study concluded that about 7-8% I think it was, of all commentors on YouTube was classified as literal psychopaths (people who completely lack empathy).

3 Likes