What DAW do you use?

Great Poll! I clicked Logic, but I also use Pro Tools, Ableton and Reason. I know that sounds like a lot and yes it makes my brain hurt sometimes, but I teach at an audio production program that offers a variety of classes and facilities. But for my own creative work, Logic is currently my weapon of choice. : )
P.S. I am interested in what others think of Studio One.

I have thinking about general categories for DAWā€™sā€¦

For composition and film scoring: Logic, Cubase or Digital Performer
For studio recording (console and tape recorder): Pro Tools
For live shows: Ableton, Bitwig
For dance/hip hop producers: Ableton, Bitwig, FL Studio, Reason

I am probably incorrect about some of this but itā€™s a start. What about Studio One and Reaper? Iā€™ve not used them.

2 Likes

I think in general that categorization is true, at least if we look at it purely statistically knowing there are lots of exceptions! :wink:

2 Likes

I worked with Logic and ProTools for several years and still believe that if you know how to work with them, you can achieve amazing results, however I switched off the lights as I donā€™t support their customer relations anymore. I bought Logic 8 and 9 and then I had to pay another 200ā‚¬ for X, which is disgusting as people who started with X had to pay the same amount. And L9 isnā€™t supported after Sierra, so the book was finished. ProTools has the same values so I closed it as well. After checking out S1 I was pleased to see how intuitive and easy the workflow is. Itā€™s great for producing, mixing and mastering at the same time. What I like the most is the support and development team, which makes great updates based on users choice. Thatā€™s what I like the most. The team is listening to the people. Thatā€™s why they have so many followers now, I guess. I need to pay for updates as well, but not 200ā‚¬ and I get so much more value, because the updates were superb until now.

Check out some summing up videos and you will see why more and more people like S1! There is a reasonā€¦

2 Likes

I use Cubase Pro 10, but sometime it happens to work with ProTools or Logic, but Cubase is my favourite

1 Like

Ah so you switch between DAWs Gianni, just for different workflow? :slight_smile:

No, I live with Cubase, but sometime who call me for work with him could use different DAW

1 Like

Logic X to compose, Pro tools to mix and master. They can be synced via the IAC driver on a Mac to run simultaneously as well.

2 Likes

Why do you mix and master in Pro Tools? Are there any technical advantages?

1 Like

Best sonic and automation accurate results for me is to LPX Export all files as audio, 48/32, import into PT same rates, mix. When having very very heavy automation mixes as I do, both from motorized faders for T&P and dozens of plug parameters on dozens of plugs, LPX bounce is not accurate. One must mix to an audio track in the LPX session in real time to achieve that. PT came way late in the bounce game, but they are flawless (so far), and I bounce various mixes (12TR) twice a week. (Cmd shift K) region bounce is also bang on every time. Also from my experiments the summing matrix is quite a bit more transparent in PT in the 80-700hz range, but in the real world its effect is highly program dependent.

2 Likes

One problem which occurred with Logic, was the fact that when you re-open a project, the mix sounds not the same, like it did. I didnā€™t take pictures of the faders or other parameters but I was told the same issue by other users as well. Itā€™s like the mix got unbalanced not what you mixed. Not the overall EQ curve, most likely the balance. I remember that well when I heard that my snare :drum: was sunk to the bottom of the ocean, instead of hitting waaaay harder in the mix I did. A good way the check this would be check the ā€œflip-phaseā€ option of the bounces from different times.
Maybe someone experienced the same thingsā€¦?

1 Like

I am a Studio One user. Itā€™s a very good DAW for everything: composing, mixing, mastering. For my workflow, S1 has a very few small drawbacks, but I can live with that. The biggest one is a boring greyish-dark GUI (to my tasteā€¦).
This would be my ideal DAW: Studio One with Cubaseā€™s midi-functionalities, Reaperā€™s routing and scripting possibilities, and Pro Tools colors. Pro Tools has the most beautiful colors.

1 Like

As I am just now beginning to use the video functions of DP, all I can add is that changing from DP to any other editor is mind numbing for this guy here. Still wrapping my brain around video, it took many years of poking around DP to figure out the basics, all these programs are sooooooo Deep. Logic is my Favorite, but alas, my MacBook died and ATM have to use my gaming rig (windows10)as my studio core. DP works the same for me on both platforms, save the mac was vastly better (for me) for composing, and I do miss Logic! Most of my sound libraries were mac sidedā€¦so I have had to recreate from scratch most of my grooves. Anyhow, I hate changing between apps was the real point I was waffleing aroundā€¦

1 Like

I see, well thatā€™s why when I found my love for Logic, I decided to stick to using it only. It has improved my workflow by a mile from having this single point of focus in using, learning and trying to master one DAW. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would make that standard advice, find the DAW one likes and stay with it. It is, at least for me, very creative killer having to learn and remember a whole new set of rules. Then to add irony, are all the same sort of things with different names: from DAW to DAW, each company has a few real different ideas while most seem to be copies of competitors innovations with different names. So all that learning curve adds confusion which for me, again, is a creative slayer of motivation. In order for a fighter jet to be effective, it has to be fast, and to be fast, it must be made as simple as at all possible, for the pilot. Fast as in not being overloaded with things to remember but instead are intuitive, like you said; muscle memory.

3 Likes

I run Studio One as well ā€¦but mainly for live tracking ā€¦Its workflow is really good for that and the ability to merge multiple takes is fantastic ā€¦

To me the best innovation would be BitWig.
I love it, but it has flaws, mostly, is not as stable to play with everything as Logic Pro X is.
Iā€™ve been using it since December 2019, very happy until the last 10 days, I got stuck using it because the Roli Software doesnā€™t run as smoothly as it should (itā€™s a Roli fault I would presume, neverthelessā€¦)

So I got back to Logic Pro X:
I went back to Logic Pro X for the last 10 days because it runs smoothly all the Roli Software which I am using a lot this days.

As I send the Bug to Roli and BitWig, Iā€™ve got a renewed love for LPX. Nevertheless:

• I still find the Automation sooooooo antiquated, when is LPX evolve and catch up?
  • LPX donā€™t have BitWigs capability to modulate anything, easily.
  • also, the midiā€¦ I edit a lot midi, and its cumbersome in comparison, not to swift to work withā€¦
  • The lack of clips view as BitWig
  • LPX it just canā€™t modulate anything as BitWig canā€¦ (this is a super power from BitWig)

Logic Pro X I Believe it still the best if you want everything to run smooth, also for live recording and to MIX and Masterā€¦ Its an Apple product, it is very stable.

After a MAsterClass with Danny Elfman, I am tempted in trying MOTUs Digital Performerā€¦ (not made up my mind yet about it, because again, to me its a new animal)

I0ve used in the past, for small projects Reaper. I am little by little getting more and more into Reaper because it seems very complete software, and I like very much its slim system, very light, while having a very robust foundation. That could be my future DAW.

1 Like

Hey look at this thread/announcement:

:+1: