• Ableton Live
  • FL Studio
  • Reason
  • Reaper
  • Digital Performer
  • Bitwig Studio

0 voters

3 Likes

If you use another DAW than those on this poll, please comment here, and let us know what you picked your specific DAW. :slight_smile:

yes i use also reaper sometime depend on the project and work
Cubase is my Main DAW for nearly all work
i use reaper for my conservatory music course and for contemporary music

2 Likes

Cubase is great, but Reaper I struggled with when I tried it. Seemed so technical and complicated, but it was years ago so perhaps it has become better? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

reaper is very good, is very stable, but is not so easy to use like cubase, or logic that are very intuitive but when you start work with it become easy for some action, it has a different approach of track

3 Likes

In reaper the main difficulties i have met is to work with video, working with video is very difficult because you can’t put marker to identify sequence and when you work on a video it is essential to have marker to specify or to separate scene, transition and so on.
working with audio in reaper is really fantastic when you start to know well this DAW it is amazing what you can do directly on the screen with your mouse

2 Likes

Don’t you find it confusing to switch between DAWs? I am even confused when going from Logic Pro to my video editor, because all the key shortcuts are in my muscle memory and they are not the same of course in different software haha :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

yes you are right short cut are different and i am also confuse when i go from cubase to reaper i have all my habit in cubse but can’t use in reaper, the last mistake i have done is that i forget taht i am in reaper and i press delete track shortcut :frowning: too bad for me but CTRL-Z works :slight_smile:
be an expert in reaper and cubase will take too many time, so i decide to focus on cubase and practice a little with reaper because reaper is just occasionnally for very specific work
i work very fast with cubase, i work at snail speed with reaper

Long long time Cubase user and I use now and then Reaper, but that is mainly for quickly chopping up audio and exporting it as it has some great features. But for all my composing work Cubase is the love of my life :smiley:

2 Likes

So you use Reaper for audio editing for all your sound design work?

there is other software that are very good for wave edit like soundforge
but agree with Jaap Visser reaper has very good integrated tool

1 Like

Not only, but when I with recordings Reaper can be nice to chop things up already and batch export it, set some loop points in some occasions. And otherwise I use wavelab for audio editting which is lovely as it has a nice integration with Cubase.

1 Like

A little mention for the people who are new into production:

The best thing is to find a DAW that fits you! I have started with Logic because it was much more intuitive than Cubase. However it doesn’t mean that Cubase isn’t good. Later I mixed a lot in ProTools, which is great for mixing and editing. Now I work with Studio One, because it combines the workflow from Logic and ProTools.

If you think that a specific DAW is better as everything else, it’s wrong. There isn’t one, which is perfect at all. The most important thing is to know where you have advantage and where you maybe need help with another software. You can always find workarounds.

If you have the knowledge, you can make great productions everywhere. It’s more about you, not your DAW. It’s your helping engineer, but not your „creative mind“ :wink:

6 Likes

One of the best things to learn in the DAW you use is the shortcut keys. They can vastly increase your workflow speed. A couple of companies even offer specific keyboards with the shortcuts superimposed on to the keys. Editor Keys and Logickeyboard are just two such firms.

3 Likes

100% agree, and not only learning the default shortcuts, but also create your own. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also use LMMS. Sometimes Reaper can’t handle the older VSTs that I use. But Reaper also has a much better interface. Both have a bit of a steep learning curve.

1 Like

Oh, I never heard of LMMS. Searched it now, open source I see. But Reaper is your main DAW?

1 Like

Yes, I use Reaper for much of my work. But I also use LMMS. Reaper was a lot harder form me to figure out. This is one I did with Reaper, https://www.broadjam.com/songs/johnhazlett/forest-breeze

2 Likes

Great Poll! I clicked Logic, but I also use Pro Tools, Ableton and Reason. I know that sounds like a lot and yes it makes my brain hurt sometimes, but I teach at an audio production program that offers a variety of classes and facilities. But for my own creative work, Logic is currently my weapon of choice. : )
P.S. I am interested in what others think of Studio One.