WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

Welcome TS! :slight_smile:
I’ve seen you already in the forum, and even joining the previous music composer contest. It’s great having you here, and I hope you will enjoy connecting with fellow composers, learning and sharing, and increase your professional network.

PS. I listened to your track now, and I enjoyed the mixing of styles. The starting tension piano part made me think about some “absurdity/strange” movie like those Danny Elfman often scores. But then it turned more beautiful and then it started dancing between these two conflicting emotins. I can see why you named your track “Strange Blending”. Very intriguing composition my friend, great work! :slight_smile:

Sincerely
Mikael “Mike” Baggström

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your appreciation I enjoy here in learning and sharing Thanks again

2 Likes

Hi Mike, hi all ye fellow composers,
my name is Jan Ziebolz, from Cologne Germany.
I came to composing this year due to corona crisis. In real life i am educating kids in music and history. Read along for a short bio if u like, thanks for having me. JAN

I started with the piano at the age of 6, but wanted to play in an orchestra. So i switched to the cello and my dream came true with 12. That was over 25 years ago. I never stopped playing in huge symphony orchestras.
I joined a “composing” class with around 14 but was more interested in arranging for orchestra. Because our local orchestra just played baroque and classical pieces i arranged filmmusic. Imagine there was no internet source for sheet music… I bought piano books or even wrote down the music by ear…
The conductor of our local school orchestra became ill short before a concert, as a member of the orchestra i got the chance to jump in as substitute… i never stopped conductiong orchestras since then…
I studied cello and today i am not a professional musician but a music teacher and music is my first love.
Corona made me re-imagine writing music. I began working with logic in march 2020 and bought my first sample library Albion One in april.
Its amazing how we can make quiet well-sounding orchestral music just with the help of our midikeyboard and some really nice libraries and software…
Glad to be here. Please feel free to contact me

yours sincerly JAN

7 Likes

Welcome Jan, I’m so glad you decided to join our community for composers! :slight_smile:

It is also always a pleasure to a fellow music teacher here (I teach music with online courses).

We don’t have many professional instrumentalists in here, so it will be very interesting to get your perspective and thoughts on all the various topics we discuss. I bet you have very high demands on string sample libraries!

And a conductor as well…that seems like the holy trinity in music: instrumentalist, composer and conductor. A one man orchestra! :smiley:

It’s an honor and pleasure to have you part of the composer community! Please feel free to jump into any of the topics, start new ones, connect with fellow members, and have fun.

Sincerely
Mikael “Mike” Baggström

2 Likes

Thank you Mike,
its incredibly nice to get such a warm welcome. I make the experience that “composing” is a strange “freaky” thing for people around… im completely enthusiastic and people around me cant understand my overwhelming joy… One reason to sign in here :smile:
Thank you for having me!
Jan

4 Likes

Haha, well to be honest Jan, we are all a bunch of “music nerds” in here in this forum. I believe all artists are a bit like “misfits” in the normal society, but as you say we can connect so well with each other. :slight_smile:

I even sometimes refer to us as “The Fellowship of Composers”, simply because we have so much respect, friendship and genuinely want to help each other.

One thing that makes this community stand out (imho), is the warm atmosphere and professional way of treating each other. So I hope you will decide to stay with us.

Also, if you get some time over, it would be amazing if you composed your cover/interpretation in your own style of the main theme from: Jurassic Park. Here’s the official post for it:

2 Likes

Thats why im here. Thank you I’ll have a look around…

3 Likes

And to be honest, I ran Facebook groups for years, but for some reason there are a lot of people on Facebook and social media that decide to act in a disrespectful way, and even being mean to others. I was so tired of that, which is why I created this community last year, and I am so happy I did! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thats really cool. But i realized the music groups to be friendly most the time. Perhaps i had good luck

3 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Mert. I am a Turkish citizen living in Bangkok, Thailand. I’ve been playing drums for many years. As years go passing by, I found myself getting interested in electronic music. So I guess you can call me amateur for now. I am here to learn from all of you, good and kind people.

I have a song on Spotify and some others on Soundcloud but even though I am so eager to hear your comments on my music, unfortunately, I am too shy to share them with you at the moment. I hope I can do it one day.

Looking forward to getting to know you all talented musicians.

Sincerely,
Mert

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the composer community Mert! :slight_smile:
What kind of drums and percussion instruments do you play?

Feel free to join the discussions on the various topics we have in the community, as you can see we discuss every topic that matters for professional composers.

Sincerely
Mikael “Mike” Baggström
Founder of Professional Composers

1 Like

Hi Mike, Hi everyone.

To be honest, i came to this forum hoping to get answers to so many confusion in my head about music.

I am new to music composition, i have no SoundCloud channel. I am one of Mike’s students on one of the MOOC learning platform he lectures on.

I actually would love to play like him someday :hugs:.

After reading some introductions, I feel a sudden boost of confidence knowing I am surrounded by awesome and professional music composers killing it in their own ways…

I hoping I would pick up good music/sound design skills and make living doing it full time, at 45 yrs of age. I know it won’t be that easy and I am not sure if it will be worth it but i figured I have nothing to lose by giving it a short.

I will like to warn you guys ahead though.
Since i am the baby in this forum filled with high caliber music top guns, i will definitely ask some stupid questions that can make you go nut…:grin:. However, I can assure you it will be one less, which is lso good news :nerd_face:.

I see you all as my teachers, do always feel free to teach me like your 2 year old.

Nice meeting you all and I am really happy to be here.

Thanks.
Tomiwa.
Lagos, Nigeria.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Professional Composers forum Tomiwa! :slight_smile:
Oh yes indeed there are so many things to learn and practice to improve within music. But as you can see we have different sections for topics in various areas.

Now of course, as with anything in life, the best way to learn is to constantly practice. Whether that is piano/keyboard or any instrument, composing in your favorite DAW, creating sounds in a synthesizer etc. So my best tip will always be: keep practicing by doing! :smiley:

Sincerely
Mike

1 Like

This is awesome!
The chord dwells and progression is just as perfect as Mike taught it.
And I can really feel the thrusters.
A nice Sci-fi ambient.
I love it.

2 Likes

Welcome! I try to explain to friends and family how I feel compelled to write, and the tremendous emotional lift I get from composing music that others can enjoy as much as I do. Music is such a wonderful blessing, and it is such a privilege to have ability and love of composing! I know you feel the same. I look forward to hearing some of your work!

6 Likes

I’m an hobbyist who came to this forum via Michaels courses too. I don’t have many musical advices, but I can tell you one thing: Whether you are 25 or 45 should make no difference as long as you love what you are doing. Happy music making.

5 Likes

Or 54 :grin:

6 Likes

Good day, everyone!

My name is Stan Bann. I am a Minnesota based composer, arranger, orchestrator, educator, and performer.

I graduated from Berklee College of Music with a degree in Jazz Composition. When I got married and started a family the pragmatic side of me led me to get an MBA in Management (aka “the day gig”). I then spent thirty years in IT and Management consulting. During this time I continued to learn, write, perform, adjudicate, and record. Now that the kids are adults and thriving on their own (proud papa here!) I have returned to my initial career path of writing music.

My primary focus is on jazz and concert music particularly for wind ensembles although I write for other instrumentations both acoustic and digital. I am the principal trombonist and euphonium for two different concert bands in Minneapolis and a composer / conductor / performer with the Minneapolis Trombone Choir.

My website is www.stanbann.com
Links to and samples from my most recent album “Penmanship” along with other sound files, videos, endorsements, and my landscape photography can be found on my website.
I am on Soundcloud so check out my most recent virtual/digital offering: “With You”
I am on YouTube as StanBannMusic

Thank you for indulging a rather rambling introduction. I’m very much looking forward to our paths crossing and our following them wherever they may lead!

Sincerely,
Stan

7 Likes

Hello eveyone!

It’s Eero Karvonen here. I’m from Finland. A science teacher by official education, my true passion is in composing. I’ve been working as a part-time multimedia entrepreneur since 2015 (as the sole proprietor of Sharp Dis-Chord) creating websites, graphics, IT applications, and occasionally producing music as well as a local annual music festival (The Hailuoto Music Festival).

Despite of having composed music in one way or another for over 15 years, I only consider myself a professional composer since 2015, when I was hired to compose my first mobile game soundtrack (Roll & Rock: Original Soundtrack). Since then, my original compositions ranging from folk pieces to a Baroque-style concerto have been performed publicly in the recent years.

For years I’ve been trying to figure out a way to make composing my number one source of income, so I could go all in at it. Since autumn 2016, I’ve been slowly working towards building the knowledge, skills and exact plans required to enter the stock music licensing business. During these otherwise challenging times, I have managed to put out my first production music album: Corporate Circus by Jigsound (which is the, by the way, the name of my licensing business). The full catalog is, for the time being, only available for licensing through Pond5.

I’m a very technically oriented person, always looking for ways to automate tedious workflows. After releasing my first album, I’m now writing a custom-tailored desktop application in Python/PyQt, which fills in P.R.O. reports, generates appropriate audio file formats, manages metadata and automated descriptions, exports CSV files for Pond5, and eventually makes an AudioJungle package from the selected edits with a single click.

Sometimes my brain overheats with new ideas, so I’m very much looking forward to sharing insights with the community and learning new perspectives. Thanks for taking me on board! :slightly_smiling_face:

All the best!
Eero

9 Likes

Welcome Stan, and thank you for your great introduction. I love hearing/reading the background of new members, and honestly, how can we relate and form relationships without actually getting to know each other? :slight_smile:

I think we can all relate to the pragmatism you mentioned, as it is a big undertaking making any decent money within art and music, and we all know this.

I’m glad to hear you found a niche that works for you, and I am certain your experience and expertise will be much appreciated in the forums of this community. On that note, please dive right in and join the discussions, ask questions, and explore the various sections and topics here.

I’m looking forward to connect with you more in here! :slight_smile:

Sincerely
Mike

2 Likes