WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

Hello Tony, I’m glad you decided to join this community by and for composers. There are sub sections to ask and discuss many different areas that concerns composers, even the business side.

I hope to see and hear your compositions in the monthly challenges.

PS. Please consider bookmarking this community website in your browser so that you remember to check in. I founded it because I wanted a much more professional and organized way of connecting composers, compared to the chaos of social media.

Sincerely,
Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the warm welcome. And I def could use suggestions on the business side! I will be looking for the sub sections- thanks for your guidance. And yes, the website has been officially bookmarked. I really appreciate that your using professionalism in your approach to connecting our community of composers! Thanks again.

See you soon!
Tony

2 Likes

Hello composers!
My name is Joel and I’m also a music composer and sound designer building a portfolio.
I’ve been playing all sorts of instruments since a young age and producing music with computers since the first DAWs came about.
I’m hoping to develop my skills even further my being part of this community of great talent :pray:t3::blush:

4 Likes

Greetings Joel, welcome to this amazing community by and for composers (I call it The Fellowship of Composers) :smiley:

I want to encourage you to jump in and join the discussions, start new topics in any of the sub sections, and connect with fellow composers.

PS. Please consider bookmarking the community website so you will remember to come back regularly. :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Mike

1 Like

Hello fellow composers!

My name is Taylor Madison Damion and I’m a budding composer/producer for film and tv, based in Brighton, UK. I also work as a songwriter, releasing work as the artist Emberhoney and also writing for other artists. But my song-based composition has always had a cinematic quality so progression into film seems very natural.

I’ve had the opportunity to compose for a couple of Indie short films but I particularly want to write music for Crime Dramas, Thrillers and Trailers, as I love dark, moody, tense scores. Who doesn’t, right?! :slight_smile:

Recently, I’ve begun studying synth-based music and sound design and developing a hybrid sound, integrating sound design with guitar-based Indie music and classical composition. My background performing and playing piano, guitar and drums meant I had little experience with computer-based music until I began studying about three years ago.

I have a very short Soundcloud playlist of a few pieces for film projects I’ve worked on so far: https://soundcloud.com/user-568559967

When I’m not doing music, I’m sleeping. :wink:

5 Likes

Hello Taylor, great to have you join us here in what I call “The Fellowship of Composers”! :slight_smile:
Interesting that you like dark, tense scores, as the monthly composer challenge of November is on this very theme, perhaps you will find the time to join?

Here is the link to the contest post

Haha, loved your ending…I know what you mean, because I go around humming musical ideas and riffs everywhere! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sincerely
Mikael “Mike” Baggström
Founder of Professional Composers

2 Likes

Thanks Mike, I so wish I had joined earlier! My production workflow is too slow to create anything worth listening to in time for the competition deadline…(unfortunately, I use Pro Tools, which is quite ill-suited to MIDI based composition, and that doesn’t help!.. transitioning to Logic soon, though ;). Looking forward to hearing the other’s compositions anyway. Your 2nd one ‘Escape from Silence’ is really inspiring. :blush:

3 Likes

That’s alright Taylor, I hope you will join future challenges then. And if you are transitioning to Logic, I have a very long playlist with Logic Pro X Tips and Tutorials here.

PS. Feel free to invite more composers to join this community, which I created because I finally decided that Facebook is complete chaos and distracting as hell. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone!
My name is Sana
I’m kinda new to all this, I’m still studying music theory in college, I want to become a video game music composer and I started pursuing that a year ago.
I’ve done several projects and I’m taking a video game music course online.
I found this website and I’m hoping I can better myself and learn new skills and meet new people here.
And that’s about it. Thank you!

4 Likes

Hello Sana, and welcome to this amazing community for composers. Please feel free to start new topics, ask questions, join the discussions…and there is also a monthly music challenge. This month it was Dark Music, and next month it will be a new theme.

Sincerely,
Mike

2 Likes

Hi. I´m Fredrik Danielsson. I´m an amatuer musician whose new to this and love cinematic, epic as well as emotive music. Since I discovered midi composing my life changed completely and really hope I will learn to compose in this genre(I work in another field construcion). I play piano, guitar and accordion. I use Cubase 10 and Studio one 4.
I like both but I think I will choose to continue to get deeper into Cubase. I use Komplete 11 ultimate, Albion one, Cs2, Css, Csss, 8dio Anthology, Emotional piano, Ilya Efimov guitars, Oceania, 8dio Requiem, 8dio Majestica and some other libraries. I took your course on epic music. I´ll be back to share something when I´m a little more skilled. Thanks.

5 Likes

Hello and welcome Fredrik, to “The Fellowship of Composers” as I call this community! :slight_smile:

You have nice toolkit of instruments and libraries, so I’m hoping you will make lots of music, and perhaps join the monthly challenges in this community.

PS. Please join the discussions, start new topics, ask questions…and connect with fellow composers.

Sincerely,
Mike

1 Like

Hello! :wave: My name is Tony Hmt, First of all, excuse my English. I’m from Spain :es:
This community looks nice and familiar, I just wanted to join, learn a lot with you, and have some fun at last. :hugs:
I’ve been a musician since 2003, I started learning guitar, then bass, then drums, and I was a big fan of rock music. I always liked to record our music and enjoyed composing music for all my bands. Tired of listening to Rock music and realizing that all sound always the same nowadays, I expanded to listen other genres. I really enjoy electronic music and above all, soundtracks of films or games. Right now I want to make a music career by making music for videos, films or videogames… and that’s my objective in the years to come. Hoping this community will help me and I’ll try to help too. :blush:

5 Likes

Anthony (Tony) Adams here. I have been a professional composer and arranger since writing my first film score in 1973. In addition to composing, I have orchestrated many film/TV scores for the top composers in Hollywood and London. Additionally, I have produced many recordings for composers and artists. While based in Los Angeles for many years, I also worked a lot in London and lived there over the turn of the century. I have used Finale for many years and my DAW of choice is Nuendo (but have also used ProTools and Logic).

I am ‘semi-retired’ and am now living in Hawaii where I am still composing and arranging for clients world-wide as well as locally.

I hope I can be of benefit to others and share my many years of experience and a few memories.

8 Likes

Welcome Tony, great to have you here. I think it is great to have a background playing instruments, and producing more popular styles of music like rock. I come from metal/EDM background myself, but like you I started to more and more go into cinematic music, which is what I love the most. It has the most range of expression, tone, mood, style to me. Please do join the discussions in here, start new topics, ask questions, and also check out the section where you can post music and give and get feedback on compositions. :slight_smile:

Sincerely
Mike

2 Likes

Welcome Anthony, or shall I presume you want to go by Tony? With that many years of experience you will certainly be deeply appreciated in the community. I have always admired orchestrators, as it is the fine art of composition, where you really need to know the instruments you arrange for.

I suspect that no one really truly retires from music. How can we? It is so much part of our lives, and as composers, who we are. :slight_smile:

Please do join the discussions, start new topics, and connect with fellow composers in the forums.

Sincerely
Mike

1 Like

I am a man from Belgium that likes to create music. I followed 4 years of music classes and 7 years of keyboard classes when I was a little kid(7-14 years old). I made songs back then on my Roland E-600. When I was 13 my father died and a bit after that I just stopped with the music… Now 1 year ago I decided, after 20 years of gathering dust to get my Roland E-600 out of under the dust and play a bit on it. I then discovered that there was a disquette in the drive. I knew I recorded my songs on disquette when I was a child, the ones I had created myself. I decided to listen to it. When I listened to the first songs I started to cry. I could not believe what I had thrown away… I decided to start making music again and not even a week later I got a Novatation Launchkey for my birthday from my mother. I simply did not have the money to buy it. But she bought it for me and I am thankfull for that. There was a Ableton Live Lite version included which got upgraded to the standard version pretty soon. Been creating tracks from then on. I know my songs do not sound like the professionals, I do not have a lot of effects on it because I simply lack the skills. The only thing I can do is play the keyboard a bit. I mostly just improvise. When I start making a track I do not know at all what I am gonna play, I never have ideas, I just play. I do not have any real skills but I put my heart and soul in it and I hope that is enough to entertain some of you with the music I try to make. I thank God for the inspiration He gives me.

5 Likes

Welcome Jimmy, pleased to have you join this amazing community of composers! :slight_smile:

Music is something we all have in us, and with us, throughout our entire life. It’s the most powerful language in the world, and an incredible journey of emotions made from sounds. I hope you keep on making music now that you found your way back to it.

Sincerely,
Mike

2 Likes

@Mikael,

sadly my grandma passed away one week ago :pensive: Luckily I could speak to her a couple of days before she left. She brought me to music, although I didn’t really want to. I was too small and was only thinking about playing football with friends. She gave me everything I am today. I don’t know any other person, besides my dad, who was such a big influencer for 1000s of people literally. She was teaching 1000s of kids throughout her career (50+ years) and received a medal for that achievement a couple of days before she died. Her students were always competing for the first 3 places in the biggest piano performance competitions. And we all know, how incredible the level in Russia musically is. That speaks for itself. Now the school will be re-named after her name, which is more than an amazing achievement in Russia. My dad showed me a picture of her class, and there was no space on all the four walls for extra diplomas and certificates she has earned. It’s mindblowing really. It’s great to see, people do care and do appreciate what you have done, which I find nowadays even more rare to see.

9 Likes

Hey composers, my name is Dakota, and I’m from the United States. I’ve been in the music realm for about two and a half years now. I started learning piano in mid 2017, but had to drop it by the end of the year as my teacher moved out of state for a new job. The school I went to pushed me off to a different teacher who is a mix engineer, but could also teach composition.

It was a bit of an interesting scenario as I learned how to make music through recreating tracks I liked, and then going on to mix them with my teacher. I did that through all of 2018, and for the first few months of 2019. Even though all that work went into covers and not my original music, I don’t think I could’ve gotten a better foundation in music that would’ve worked for me than that. My teacher taught me how to see music from both a creative and technical side. He told me all the time how important it was to be creative first, but to also make my creative decisions count for the future when it was time to mix.

I finally reached a point where I was comfortable and ready to start making my own music earlier this year. I haven’t made a ton of tracks, but I’ve been proud of what I was able to accomplish from orchestral tracks to a Yakuza-style track more recently (I’ve been playing through the Yakuza series recently, and the music is great. Very inspiring stuff). My goal is to get into composing for games, so I aim to make way more music next year to start getting a portfolio together.

I’ve also poked through this community a bit for the past few days and I think you guys have a great thing going here and I’m happy to be a part of it. I hope that was a decent introduction, I’m not too great with these lol

6 Likes