WELCOME: Start here and Introduce Yourself! =)

Hello Martin, and great having you here! :slightly_smiling_face:
I love your introduction, it is a great way to get to know each other better in this community. Very impressive background and experience in classical music you had, I wish I could play all those instruments as well :smiley:

I hope that you will join the discussions, start new topics, share and learn together with fellow composers in this amazing community.

PS. please consider bookmarking this community website so you will remember to come back often. :slight_smile:

Sincerely
Mike

2 Likes

Hi everybody!

My name is Aidan (Aodhan is the Gaelic spelling, my Grandfather was Irish)…
Born in '61 - I was first taught the basics of reading music when I was about 6, started learning trombone when I was 9.
Played in local youth bands and orchestras through the 70s. Joined the local brass band during this time, have continued playing with them on and off for ever (currently with them!), and on to Big Bands, playing for several over the years.
About 10 years ago, I did all the music courses the Open University had to offer - had to add a couple of non-musical courses to make a full degree!
At some point in the early 80s, I read an article about “Library Music”, and thought “…I’d love to do that…”, but then “life” got in the way - so finally, I’ve managed to start…!
Trailer, Cinematic, and background music I find rather intriguing… :wink:

Currently doing a couple of related courses with Evenant (sorry if they’re rivals!).

Aidan :grin:

5 Likes

Welcome Aidan, we are glad to have you join the community. Library music is still a major part of the music industry, perhaps even more so today than in the past. If you check the “business” sub section of the forum you will see that there are already several threads on the topic of music libraries and licensing, and you are more than welcome to create new topics yourself.

PS. Oh no, no rivals at all. Anyone who teaches the amazing and most powerful language in the world (music), is a friend of mine. :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Mike

1 Like

Hi Mike, thank you!
I’ll check that section, (amongst others).
Forgot to mention that there was always a piano in the house when I was growing up, but have only had a handful of proper lessons, resulting in a level of keyboard technique almost approaching mediocrity…
My first synth was a Korg MS10 - I wish I hadn’t sold it!
Entered the Metropolis Ark competition recently, with my first ever effort in scoring to film, if only for a minute - I’ll put a link in the other section you mentioned above (in somebody else’s post). :smiley:

3 Likes

Hello everyone, Im Valerio From Italy, i like to compose music for trailer, epic music, piano music, hope to learn more. Im a piano player and i learning from your courses Mike :laughing:

3 Likes

Welcome Valerio, I’m glad you joined the community! :slight_smile:
Ah, lots of composers (including me) like doing epic music (hybrid, trailer, cinematic). In fact, we even had a epic trailer music contest last month here

PS. Please consider bookmarking this community website, so you will remember it and stay connected with fellow composers to learn, share, network etc. :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Mikael “Mike” Baggström

2 Likes

Hi there! :wave:

I’m Ben from Vienna Symphonic Library. I’m a software developer and make music as a hobby.
4 years ago I started using VSL’s products, and in August 2019 I joined the VSL team.

Feel free to tag me, if you have any question related to our products! :blush:

Best, Ben

4 Likes

Welcome Ben, super cool to have you join this amazing community for composers. I will in fact make an official news post introducing you as a new brand member. :slight_smile:

To be honest VSL has not been talked about much in here, so I hope you can change that with your presence.

Sincerely,
Mike

2 Likes

Great to have you here, Ben! Maybe you could share some overviews / tutorials about VSL in the “Educational Content” section?

2 Likes

Hi, My name is Anne-Marie from Montréal, Québec in Canada.

I’m new to recording composition though I have composed all my life with my cello, doing a lot of improvisation. I’m learning Logic Pro and the art of mixing. I am very interested in ambiant and what would be called “new age” music. I love to meditate so I’m composing mainly in that direction. Right now, I get lost in all the sounds and possibility of electronic sounds. I hope to learn much from all of you!
Thank you for this:)

9 Likes

Welcome Anne-Marie, great to have you join us in this community. Ah, the cello is one the most beautiful instruments in the world in my opinion. :slight_smile:

Regarding ambient music, we actually just had a composer challenge in this very theme, but it ends today as it’s the last day of October. But you can still go and have a listen and see the discussions/feedback on the tracks if you want. You will find them under the section “Contests for Composers”.

If you ever have any questions, I enrourage you to ask them. Simply choose the appropriate sub section and start a new topic.

PS. I hope you will consider bookmarking this community website, so that you will remember to come back often, and become part of the composer family. :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Mike

2 Likes

Hello, and welcome! I’m sort of coming at this from the opposite direction; started out with computers and electronic music back in the 8 bit era, got into virtual orchestration a few years ago, and as a side effect of that, picked up the violin - and then (just a few months ago) the cello.

Absolutely loving the cello, which somehow feels more natural and musical than keyboards ever did to me, and progress has been a lot quicker than I expected. Of course, I’m not expecting to ever reach professional soloist levels or anything, but that’s not strictly necessary if one can get away with picking the best out of umpteen takes. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi there! i’m Souleymane ! hobbyist music composer living in Tunisia. I’m a newbie ^^ ! i like mostly to compose emotional and epic music ! still learning a lot about music composition ! so looking forward to improve my skills near you great composers ! ^^

5 Likes

Hello Souleymane, welcome to the composer community! :slight_smile:
We have composers from beginners to working professionals in here, so this is a place for everyone to learn at the level you are at, and continue to improve.

Sincerely,
Mike

2 Likes

Ciao composers

My name is Giovanni, I’m a guitarist, composer, music teacher, performer from Italy although I’ve been living in Los Angeles ever since 1992. I’ve started composing when I’ve produced my first record in 2012 (which I have composed, arranged and produced almost entirely by myself). After few years that record ended in the right hands and a result of that now I work as a composer for music libraries…and I simply LOVE IT :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Having said that, I’ve just started my journey, I know I have a lot to learn but my goal one day is to be able to write orchestral music. In the meantime, I write music that reflects my taste and experience as a performer. I mostly focus on Jazz/Funk/Soul/Rock/Latin etc. (see links below)

As far as DAW I’ve started with Cubase centuries ago😊 and ended on Logic Pro x which I totally love starting from its amazing “Logic drummer” .

I wanna take this opportunity to thanks Mike for his great instructional videos and tips, I have learned a lot especially about the “Logic drummer”

You can find me here:

1. Home page
    2 Spotify

Looking forward to connecting with all of you

Regards

Giovanni

6 Likes

Hello and welcome Giovanni, great to have you join us in this community by and for composers of all styles and all over the world! :slight_smile:

I love many genres and styles of music, but orchestral/cinematic is my number one passion. I am so blessed to live in a time where I can actually compose this music in my computer without having to hire an entire orchestra!

Oh yes, I love Logic (as you know). I used Cubase for 8 years, but 2 weeks after I tried Logic I realised I found my true home haha. So went all in, and now become somewhat of an expert on it. I always teach that you should master your main tools. Your DAW, your favorite plugins, synths etc. Truly master them and learn something new all the time, then your workflow will be amazing! :slight_smile:

PS. Please consider bookmarking this community website so you will remember to come back, and also do jump into the discussions and start new topics right away. We are all here to help each other and learn together! :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Mike

2 Likes

How cool! That way around makes more sense than one should think.
I have started with the drums - now I work totally in the box.
BUT - I plan to purchase a very cool HANDPAN in Barcelona
from a blacksmith I found. I am still exploring the possible tunings.
But I have the feel that a ‘real’ instrument will change my perspective
again. So - YES!!! Cool to play something real!

3 Likes

Indeed; playing real (and different kinds of) instruments does change your perspective, and I believe it can help you evolve musically. Different ways of thinking of scales, dynamics, expression, rhythm etc, which helps you break free from the thought patterns and habits formed around any single instrument. And of course, you’ll improve your precision, timing, coordination etc, as real instruments don’t automatically generate nice articulations, great tone and all that - and that’s what fascinates me about bowed strings in particular; brutally unforgiving, but so much expressive potential.

1 Like

I so much agree on the feel of a real instrument , every time you hit a note it will be different every time
The way you pluck the note at different angles
The intensity how soft or how hard you hit the note
and that just the right hand
The left hand
how you can fret a single note their can be many different ways to mute a note
There are many little nuances that just can make it sound different each time
It will started to feel and sound quite different on how you play it and a lot of expression

I use guitar no expert by no means
and it took me quite a while to learn a halfway decent vibrato
I had to slow down way down on just one note and really listen deeply
that is very hard to replicate all of this with a computer

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

My name is Mirza and I’m originally from Bosnia and Herzegovina, currently living in the United States.

My music journey started in early 00s after I got into a specific sub genre of Electronic Music called Goa Trance, and I was basically working almost exclusively in that scene for almost 11 years. I did some side music work from time to time but I made the “switch” in 2016 and began composing orchestral and hybrid music because I completely fell in love with that sound :slight_smile:

For those of you who may be interested in my music, quickest way is to open my sound cloud profiles here:

I joined this forum in hope to expand my knowledge and also help other composers with any questions. I always appreciate constructive criticism and I like to give constructive feedback when asked.

Cheers!

5 Likes