Welcome our new Brand Member - Sample Modeling (Sample Modeling Brass etc.)

Let’s welcome Sample Modeling as a new brand member of this amazing community! :slight_smile:

Sample Modeling is most famous for their amazing Sample Modeling Brass bundle which gives you so much expression and playability, especially if you pair it with a breath controller. They also just released a brand new product bundle called Sample Modeling Solo & Ensemble Strings.

Here is a Video demonstrating the amazing capability of Sample Modeling Brass:

PS. @SampleModeling Please take the opportunity to introduce yourself and your products further in this thread. :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Mike

5 Likes

Thank you very much for the warm welcome, Mike.

Giorgio

4 Likes

Wow. This is my first time hearing of sample modeling. This sound amazing.

3 Likes

@jonnelson1988 Yes they are remarkable, especially when you have a breath controller. You might look silly when you use such a device, but who cares when you are sitting in your home studio haha. The expressivity and playability is what makes @SampleModeling so amazing! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I recently purchased the TEControl Breath midi usb controller. My hope was to be able to get a nice breathy sound on flute and sax using this utility. So far I am able to make it control the modulation wheel and pitch control, but I’m not getting what I hoped for as far as what I’m seeing on the demo video above. Wow! While I’m ok using midi, I’ve never really needed to use and CC# changes, and would love if someone could point me in the right direction. My DAW is Presonus Studio One 4, and within I’ve used their Instruments, including Presence…I also use a number of EASTWEST products, including Symphonic Orchestras and QLRA. None of these seem to allow me to use the Breath Control, well, as a Breath Control. It seems I can only control the wheels mentioned above, volume and a few other items, but can’t get that breath sound I was looking for when I purchased it.
Any suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

First of all, welcome to the community Harry. :slight_smile:
When I got my TEControl Breath Controller I did a tutorial on how to use it. I use Logic Pro, but I assume it would be similar in Studio One. Here’s my video:

2 Likes

Hello Mikael,

Thank you for responding so quickly.
I have indeed watched your video at least a couple times before joining this community. In fact, the replies to the video are what led me here. I suppose I get confused when you say to “map the expression values to various parameters of your choice”. I’ve tried mapping in as many different ways as I can think of, but they don’t seem to respond to CC2 so I can achieve that “breathy” sound. As I mentioned, I can have CC2 set to control modulation/volume/pitch CC values, and the breath control does work for those (this with the help of Presonus), but not for CC2 itself…I’ve been in touch with TEControl support, but they no longer respond.
One thing I have noticed that was odd, is in the TEC utility, where Midi Message is set to Control Change. This wasn’t working for me in Presonus with midi CC set to CC2, unless I changed the message to one of the other choices, then it would work for the pitch bend/aftertouch options. If I left Midi Message set to Control Change, and changed Midi CC to CC7 Volume, then it would work, but I’m not looking for it to control the Volume.

I’ve seen demos of Breath Control working with a Saxophone beautifully, but again, I’m at a loss as to how to get to that point.

I’m sorry for the long post, but I’ve had my Breath Control for over a month now, and still can’t get it to do what I wanted it to do in the first place, and it’s very frustrating. I just thought with your great knowledge in this field, you might be able to see something I’m missing and point me in the right direction.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated,

Harry

2 Likes

Well a breath controller does not create sound itself. It merely sends data in form of CC values. And it’s up to every single software instrument developer to record dynamic levels etc. and make it able to perform these.

What you actually “play” when using the breath controller is the the force of air. Which is translated to a CC parameter. This is default CC2. Then you need to map the parameters you want to control in your software instrument to listen to CC2. In the case of wind instruments like brass and woodwinds, the force of air is the actual dynamics (ppp to fff).

Watch this video I also made;

Here is another video demo:

And a final third video I also made:

3 Likes