Virtual Concerto for Oboe & Digital Ensemble

I’ve been posting movements from my new oboe concerto. I finished the 3rd movement today and am posting it, so the composition is now complete.

I am thinking about recording it also with a live oboist when COVID is really over, but for now I think the VSL oboe sounds good.

PLAY

1 Like

I liked this movement. Opening with that synth-like sound was a bit unexpected but really worked well. The overall feel gives me some fantasy RPG vibes.

Great job as always Jerry.

Thanks Matt for listening and commenting!

Jerry

1 Like

Matt,

What does RPG stand for? I looked it up and found “Rocket Propelled Grenade”. I don’t think I want to blow anything or anybody up, there’s already too many people doing that…

Jerry

1 Like

Haha! Yeah, we don’t need anymore rocket propelled grenades. RPG in this case is ‘role-playing game.’ Think, Final Fantasy or Legend of Zelda for example. I meant the overall impression I got from this movement felt a bit like some of the music from these type of games, from some of the great Japanese composers like Nobuo Uematsu or Koji Kondo, who did the music for the two games mentioned.

We sure don’t!

Jerry,

Very interesting piece. I like the way you’re able to pull in and combine so many different styles and genres; orchestral elements with electronic sounds; classical harmonies and counterpoint side by side with modern and modal elements. For example, I love the beautiful melody starting in measure 38 with the flutes, then echoed by the oboe. And then in measure 52, the oboe is playing what amounts to a classic A7 blues lick. Very cool.

Steven

Hi Steve,

I hope all is well with you. Regarding measure 38, which movement are you referring to?

Jerry

Jerry,

The 3rd movement.

Steven

The 3rd movement is probably one of my best compositions/movements. I think the structural integrity of the piece is a result of over 50 years of composition…

Thanks again Steve for taking the time to comment and listen…

Yes, a real oboe is the way to go. Quite lovely.

Hi Ron,

I’m actually making two versions, I released my 16th CD yesterday with the VSL oboe and later this year will most likely record the concerto with an oboist.

Thanks for listening and commenting!
Jerry