Viewing MIDI playback on a keyboard

Is there a plug-in, or keyboard controller that shows what MIDI notes are being played back in a track. I’m using Pro Tools today and it would be much easier to comprehend what a track is playing if I could reference a keyboard that is highlighting (blinking) the notes that are being played. At this point, I have to discern what notes the horizontal bars represent. I find this to be slow. Too bad I don’t have perfect pitch! There is a notation view, but I’m not a fast sight-reader either and it doesn’t work perfectly either. Perhaps this is in other DAW’s? I don’t understand why this isn’t standard in every DAW. Perhaps an iPad app can do this? I do have an iPad.

1 Like

Never thought of that, but it sounds like a cool idea. I mean there is Synthesia, but that means you need to export the MIDI first which from what I understand is not what you are looking for. I wonder of Scaler can do this?

I am going to get Scaler soon with the upcoming 2.0 update, mainly because it seems to be the best chord tool in VST form for increasing your workflow.

1 Like

Does the Native Instruments Kontrol keyboard light up during playback? In other words, can look at the lights to see what MIDI notes are playing in your selected track?

1 Like

Hmm I think it does actually, I honestly never thought of paying attention to it, but next time I’m in the studio I’ll take a look. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes. I have the S49 and the key lights highlight notes being played in a given track.

1 Like

@Adrianbrooks, Are you saying that the notes have to be highlighted? Or are you saying it is a track that is selected (highlighted)? Is it limited to one track?

I use Studio One and a Komplete Kontrol S49. The light guide works only when using the Komplete Kontrol VST when assigned to a track. The lights will show the keys I used on playback. It will not function when used with third party VSTs (to my knowledge), although some third party VSTs can be loaded into KK VST (such as Spitfire’s British Drama Toolkit). It is not something I have paid any attention to, other than catching my eye when playing back my recordings. Where I find the light guide most useful is in separating Kontakt’s key assignments for things like playable range of an instrument and keyswitches.
The light guide also helps with showing keys of any given scale and the notes for the built in arpeggiator (assigned via the S49).
I’m not sure how much help that is to you, though.
Playback is shown at around the 40 second mark of this minute long video -

1 Like

Thank you. That is very helpful. I can see it responding to playback in the video.

I am disappointed to hear that it may only work with the Komplete Kontrol plug-in. It would be really cool if it did. But it sounds like it has other benefits as you mentioned. Thanks for the help.

1 Like