Underwater Views

Right, there’s been too much life, and a fair bit of opera training lately, so I didn’t get around to do a track specifically for this contest. I started working on one, but it turned more “classical inspired jazz,” and just didn’t seem appropriate here.

So, here’s my entry for another challenge that happened within the time frame of the contest. It was made as an entry for 2HAC, which means it was made in two hours. I used it as an opportunity to familiarize myself with one of my latest toys, Sugar Bytes Aparillo, which is doing most of the work in this track. My original intention was to build more on it; maybe some cello or violin, but as it turned out, I’m worried about ruining the feel and atmosphere that is already there, so maybe it’s just as well that I ran out of time.

Tools used

• Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5.12
  • Sugar Bytes Aparillo
  • UVI Whoosh FX
  • Eventide Blackhole
  • Spitfire Chamber Strings
  • FabFilter Pro-R
  • iZotope Ozone 9

8 Likes

Very nice. Love it. Love the pads, the bubble sound, the contrasting ‘B section’. My only downside is the whooshes which I don’t find so relaxing but this is only a matter of taste plus the fact that it was first composed for another challenge.

Thanks for sharing!

These pads came from Sugar Bytes Aparillo Right?

1 Like

Thank you!

Yes, it’s mostly Aparillo, playing alternating long notes, with DAW automation. IIRC, I grabbed a preset, randomized some parts, and then arranged the “nodes” so I could get the transitions I wanted along different orbiter paths. Really efficient and easy to use sound design tool! Then it’s just the whooshes, and double basses playing the bass line, with cellos an octave above, so Aparillo is really doing most of the work here.

Indeed, the whooshes were meant to mark the rhythm and add some excitement and movement, and I wasn’t really thinking “relaxing” at all at that point. On the contrary, I was planning on adding more “action” elements! So, it was kind of dumb luck that I ran out of time, and accidentally ended up with a track that wasn’t too far from this contest’s theme. :smiley:

1 Like

I really those long evolving pads which include some motion or rhythmic element. I’ll definitely have a look at this Apparillo but I’ll wait for it to be on sale :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait, if we have another month, I might still make the “post challenge edit” of this track, and maybe a dedicated entry as well… :slight_smile:

(I have too much going on… What year is this!? :smiley: )

1 Like

Listened it a few days ago, but forgot to reply and listened to it again today, but this is really an awesome production, great sounds, amazing vibe and for me the wooshes have something soothing, funny how that all works differently for each of us. Very nice work David!

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Well, there’s a lot about the perception of music that is highly personal. In particular, I suppose the whooshes in this track could be perceived as a sign of traveling at high speed, which might be stressful to some - but to me it’s actually kind of relaxing, after about a decade on various race tracks. :smiley:

Great atmospheric sounds and contrasts. The sound and swooshes reminded me a bit of Jean-Michel Jarre’s Magnetic Fields (which was a big influence on my early days). Recommend checking out on headphones if you are not familiar. :grinning:

2 Likes