Under the Stars

After a difficult 10 days or so I settled down over the weekend to make this track:-

This track was inspired by listening to some of the new music about to be released by Neuland Project (Peter Baumann & Paul Hasslinger). It must be so enthralling and beautiful being an astronaut and taking in the perspective of our little planet within the vastness of space.

3 Likes

Really great ambient track some nice synth patches - what did you use?

1 Like

Thanks Phil, I put a list in the comments on the video. I mainly used Omnisphere and gave some movement to the pad sounds using Heavocity Intimate Textures. Drums came from Cubase 10’s built in Groove Agent 2 using the minimal drum set as this track did not require too much percussion.

Mixing wise I used Softube Console 1 with UAD plugins, namely the manley massive passive to shape the final sound. A touch of the Oxford Limiter to provide expansion added the final mastering fairy dust.

2 Likes

Hello, I feel the beginning as very beautiful and as a typical soundscape of ambient music. In the transition, there is this easy rhythm, which I like very much. I also think that he fits the music. Then something follows that points musically in a different direction. A melody (lead) is very intense and intrusive in the foreground. It develops a constant calculable rhythm. I miss the hovering sound from the beginning. I like this music, but I’m not sure if I would call this music ambient. But this is my peronal opinion. Nevertheless I think that everything was done very well.

Greetings
Klaus Ferretti

Thanks Klaus. The term Ambient covers a multitude of styles. Some involve pure floating pad sounds whereas there is a new age ambient style that involves melodic leads. I took a different approach with this composition in that the video came before the music. I therefore was conscious of bringing the track to a conclusion within the allotted time of the video.

Thanx for this wonderful composition. It does sound like a theme for a space journey to be sure. But I guess that what is the desired purpose for a composition? I am inclined to agree with Klaus Ferretti though. So far there really isn’t an ironclad statement as to what ambient is, because many of the examples in various R and D sites that I’ve seen don’t seem to match either.

Ambient is truly difficult to define exactly. If you listen to Tangerine Dream their music is classed as Ambient/Electronic in most circles. Yet there is a strong sense of melody in a lot of their tracks.

This is one reason why I do not like labelling music to confirm with a specific style as you will never get two musicians to agree.

There are different shades of every color, and the rainbow has gradients has it not? :slight_smile:
Ambient as in “atmospheric driven chill-out music” vs Ambient as in “floating dreamy new age drone sounds”…are just different parts of the same spectrum. :slight_smile:

1 Like