Tuba Fanfare - "Regal"

Stan:
Don’t get me wrong, I listen to a wide range of music. To me, the standard is not what structure or form it is classified as, but whether it is intense. From minimalism to maximalism. Cage, Beethoven, Julius Eastman, Tchaikovsky, John Adams, Wagner… Heard a fantastic piece by Matana Roberts the other day that defied categorization.

In case you’re interested, my piece For Ukraine is here For Ukraine: piano and orchestra

1 Like

Stan,

Wow- thanks for the comprehensive answer! I was kind of asking as a silly joke, but I really appreciate the information and examples you gave!
I’m pretty new to writing music, and so am straining hard to remember and apply the rules from music theory class from 40 years ago. Your response makes me go “Oh yeah- theory can be fun and useful!”
I’m trying to write a tune for big band, and I find that I naturally gravitate towards altered dominants, and now the task is to figure out how to voice a chord with 5 or 6 notes across 4 piece trumpet and bone sections. Fun- something new to learn!

Appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge!

Steven

1 Like

Thanks for the note and for the link to your piece. Very visual and evocative! Nicely done!

I’ll apologize, too, if I mislead you with my comments about various instantiations of the term “contemporary”. I’m not against it and find it the techniques extremely useful (although I find the piece for prepared ping pong table more in the “Avant Garbage” category … perhaps because they got funded and I didn’t? I’m big enough to admit I can be that small!).

For your piece … are you envisioning a totally live, acoustic performance or are you looking more at a hybrid performance? I can see challenges down both paths with both paths leading to a good outcome! Keep us updated on your progress!!

Take care, Vincent! Keep the great sounds and creativity coming!!

Stan

Thanks, Steve!!

After four years at Berklee and 20+ leading my own big band I’ve been there! The good news is there are plenty of options to use!!! The bad news is there are plenty of options from which to choose!!

We’ll need to find time and a good coffee house to compare notes! Lots of thoughts for you!

Keep me / us in the loop as you work through the chart! Love hear it!

Take care!

Stan

Thanks for your thoughts, & about your question, the piece is definitely composed for piano & orchestra, no electronics. I’m starting work on the score.