Top 3 non-film composer (from any era) and your favorite piece from them

Pretty keen to read your top composers!

Here’s mine:

1- Franz Liszt. I love how visionary his music was, from his exceptional technique on the piano, his ability to write some beautiful pieces in different styles and his opening towards the impressionism style at the end of his life.

His piece: Hungarian Rhapsody no.2. No I have not discovered this piece through Tom and Jerry, but rather it was the piece that made me interested in classical music during my teenage years. Since then I have listened to it probably a million times!

2- Claude Debussy. The master of tone colours. Every time I listen to him I found inspiration and my imagination gets filled by beautiful landscapes of nature. His music to me his very visual and absolutely stunning.

His piece: I was hesitating between a few of his pieces, but I must say Rêverie has something almost magical every time I hear it (even though apparently he did not like this piece after all!)

3 - Jacob Collier. Yep big leap in time… I just love his excitement and passion about music, and all the new theories and ways of composing and making music he’s bringing on the table. Such an incredible musician and composer… I had the chance to saw him perform last month and it was just incredible seeing him play. I am actually pretty keen to see what else his mind will offer, as he is still early in his career!!

His piece: I got to say, his version of Moon River is just something. His harmonies are just so rich I feel dazed by its complexity and beauty.

Oof, that was a tough one! Feel free to share yours guys, would love to hear all about it!

3 Likes

My favorites include:

1. Tchaikovsky, “Nutcracker Suite”.
  2. Rossini, “William Tell Overture”.
  3. George Frideric Handel, “Messiah”.
  4. Aram Khachaturian, “Sabre Dance”.
2 Likes

my favorites and non film composers are:
Giovanni Gabrieli
I listen to brass music

Orlando di Lasso
I like the polyphonic style

Vivaldi
It is his violin music

Franz Liszt
Annees de Pelerinage - Italie

Claude Debussy
Piano works

Edvard Grieg
Lyric pieces

Maurice Ravel
almost everything

Toru Takemitsu
Archipelago S. for 21 players

Greetings
Klaus Ferretti

2 Likes

WoW! Challenging question!, I feel bad for picking ‘just’ four :blush:

Andrew Lloyd Webber, I have always been and I will always be in love with the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar. The music is just outstanding, full of emotions and always when I hear it, it inspires me.

Jaroslav Jezek, Bugatti Step… fun to listen, fun to play (although superhard) and the song literaly makes me happy :slight_smile: Plus! He was Czech like me, even with the same surname (no family relation tho) :smiley:

Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, all of them.

Mike Oldfield, not possible to name just one piece, but here the variety goes… Portsmouth, Summit Day, Nuclear, and more.

3 Likes

I enjoyed so much this post that I had to go and find that old vinyl that I used to listen to as a child in the living room while doing my homework.

It was a classical music compilation and the piece I remember enjoying the most was:

1. Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No. 2, Op. 18

Then later on I discovered also these:

1. Francis Poulenc: Rapsodie Négre. Awesome awkwardness…

2. Sri Vallabhacharya: Nandakumarshtakam. So heavenly and pure.

I don’t know in-depth the work of them but It was nice to share…

3 Likes

hello
well a top 3 for me will be difficult there is so many composer i like but

• mussorgsky : picture at an exhibition
  • carL Orff : carmina burana
  • wagner : Die Walküre
  • Gustav holtz : the planet
  • tchaikovsky the nutscrackers
  • bethoven symphony 6
  • mozart symphonie 25
  • mendhelsson violin concertro E minor op 64
  • Bach toccata and fugue in D minor BWV 565

and so many others

2 Likes

Here’s my list and I really liked the other composers you guys mentioned and in particular Jacob Collier!

1. Frédéric Chopin

I am an avid fan of Chopin and his music, and I love listening to different interpretations of his pieces, and I find it to be amazing in his short life that he managed to create such a great amount of amazing pieces. When I listen to Chopin, I can feel his melancholy, his despair, and I do not have a favourite piece but I’ll give you a less-known étude, the Etude Op10 n6 (listen to the Pollini version in my opinion he plays most études beautifully) , which is unique in so many ways.

1. Beethoven

Now Beethoven brings something else with his ‘Sturm und Drang’ (Storm and Passion). My favourite piece by him is the Symphony 7, particurlary the 2nd movement, or the piano sonata #21 in C op63 Allegro con Brio which is less known.

1. Franz Liszt

A friend of Chopin, he was more of a showman than his contemporary and I really love the ‘Libestraum’ that is magnificent.

This list may have a small bias towards solo pianists…

2 Likes

Ones I can think of right now and def among my top list;

Mark Isham

Gabriel Yared

Billy Goldenberg

1 Like