Theme from "When I Met Hitler" - grave with a dash of hope

This is for a documentary feature I’m scoring. This can’t be shared publicly, but I think it’s fine for me to share on a private forum with my fellow composers. I’m just happy with it and want to share, because otherwise hardly anyone will hear it until the film comes out, in perhaps a year.

We wanted a serious vibe, with both tragedy and hope, maybe with shades of the Schindler’s List theme, particularly in the use of solo violin. The documentary is about people who met Hitler when they were children, and how that affected the entire rest of their lives, and the director has interviewed several of these fascinating people, both Jewish and German, with multiple perspectives on the Fuhrer. (Obviously most of the subjects despise what happened—but not all! This leads to some very tense moments.)

I will now go and give feedback on another posted track!

5 Likes

This is a nice bittersweet piece that is consistent with that particular genre. It would go well with the scenes like the ghettos in which the Jews were forced to live in before the violence set in. One could hear the darkness in much of this piece, but there were of hopeful passages, like when the sun peeks through the clouds.

2 Likes

Thanks man, I so appreciate your listening and commenting!

Nice score ! i specially like that part started from 1:05 when the violin comes in !

1 Like

This is lovely! May I ask what the strings library is. I’m assuming the solo violin is real.

1 Like

Yes, the solo is real. The strings are mainly Eastwest Hollywood, with 4 overdubs of the violinist playing along with the V1 section.

Beautiful. As an amateur listening to this I say you really got it reminding of Schindler´s list. Even if I
wouldn´t have read the text first I think Schindler would have been what first comes to mind.

Sounds pretty good to me! Nicely done! All instruments fit wel togheter and sound very good!