The 7 Modes - Free Chart

Hello Composers, Mike here! :slight_smile:
I created this free chart of all the 7 main modes of music + a diatonic 7th chords chart per mode. I did this for myself as a composer, but then realized this can be a great resource to share with you all. Tip: Bookmark the web page for reference! :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks Mike! The seventh chord chart is very useful.

1 Like

Yes it is! Which is why I made this chart for myself as I wrote. Because even though I know theory fairly well, Iā€™m not one of those ā€œperfect pitchā€ people, or Rick Beato masters where everything seems engrained in their brain. I often need a reference, or ā€œcountingā€ where Iā€™m at. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Haha! I Iā€™m even worseā€”I know theory but it almost never enters my brain while Iā€™m writing. I just mess around with a few ideas and then have to go backward to figure what I did theory wise so I know wht to do going forward. It would definitely be nice to have a brain like Jedi Master Rick!

1 Like

Oh man, Rick is one of my idols, and heā€™s up there with John Williams status in my view. Just awe-some in the true old sense of the word! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am like you Matt, I like to compose without thinking about theory. Itā€™s more fun that way. However, I would love a tool that could suggest what key/mode, modal interchanges etc. I actually composed lol. Best music theory tool I have found so far is Scaler 2 (video here), but I would love to have it natively in Logic as a global chord track that updates based on the parts I write! :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah Rick is great. Iā€™ll have to go back and look at Studio One, which is my DAW. Iā€™m using the artist version, but I think I remember something about the professional version having something like a feature that suggests chords or keys based on chords youā€™ve written that it detects during playback. Iā€™m sure it was Studio One but it might be some other DAW or feature in another VST.

1 Like