Taylor Davis Violin by Cinesamples

New Cinesamples Solo Violin Library
So I just saw this announcement, what are your thoughts everyone? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, I might be a bit oversensitive after playing the real thing for a bit… :slight_smile: There are some really nice long intervals there (that characteristic “fingering + slide” sound when shifting), but the normal legato sounds weird and synthetic. One would expect a mix of slurs, bow changes, string crossings, shifts, and the occasional slide. Here, the notes are separated as in an unnaturally clean portato. (Slowing the bow between notes, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEL8BxmmbN4)

Also, the tone sounds slightly like an electric violin to me… Violins tend to sound like that if you put the mic too close (or use a pickup), and you need to compensate with processing and/or adding in some room mic or similar to get a “natural” sound.

Definitely sounds like there is potential, but it depends on the mic options and control/articulation possibilities. I was not blown away by the demo, TBH.

2 Likes

Even though I know you are still on your journey mastering the art of bowed strings, it is great to get the perspective from someone who actually plays the instrument in question.

I am actually more interested in the Bohemian violin atm, the developer just joined this forum, and the sound is super expressive and playable from what I can see and hear in their videos. :

2 Likes

hi,
this library seems to sound good for a solo violon, in the different articulation there is not the harmonic, bartock, col legno sul tasto, sul ponticello or con sordino
well for the price we have a good sound that rendered by a great violonist
i think it is worth to have it to put a great solo violon in our composition
there is other library that give solo violon but the cost is higher, i think to spitfire audi solo string, chris hein, vienna symphonic library, east west
thanks for cine sample to give us the opportunity to have a great solo violon library for a low cost

3 Likes

Ah yes for the price it seems very nice. Lacks articulations, but honestly the most important thing for me with solo strings is great legato and great vibrato, because that is where the emotion comes from. :slight_smile:

I am not sure if I will personally get this specific product, I already have @embertone Joshua Bell violin which I love.

3 Likes

you’re right, i am not sure that for the price of this library the legato is good enough to spread emotion

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s kind of my problem with it; the legato. Tina Guo Legato basically does one thing: slow cello legato - but does it extremely well. I would have hoped for something similar here, but it seems like the focus went to various other things.

1 Like

I just go the Tina Guo Legato and happy to see a string player say something good about it. I will use it mostly for slow legato melodies. But I am looking for solo violin and viola libraries for intimate string quartet with real piano.

1 Like

I would recommend checking the Bohemian series, right now Violin and Cello but they are working on Viola. From the demos they sound super expressive, and the developer is even a member of this forum @Virharmonic. I interviewed them for my website, super nice guys and composers like us! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Mikael I would love to read the interview but I could not find it at professional composer.com. Can you please provide a link or directions on how to find it?

Ah pardon me Joseph, I should have linked directly as I referenced it, was a bit lazy there haha. Here it is: https://professionalcomposers.com/the-story-of-virharmonic-sample-library-developer

1 Like

Thanks @Mikael. Good interview. I am going to check out @Virharmonic.