Sustain Pedal Problem - Is it just me?

A final question. If I buy a Roland (or any other brand) that says it is suitable for their keyboards. Is it still compatible with any MIDI Keyboard with a sustain pedal input?

The reason I ask is because some sustain pedals have in their specs (suitable for…“insert brand name keyboards”)

Hi Mike. This doesn’t necessarily mean a thing but I have the same pedal and back when I also had Studio logic Sl 88 I had the same issue once it went away and I don’t know why or how. Now I still have the same pedal but Komplete kontrol S88 and haven’t experienced it again.
Not much help but maybe it isn’t a coincidence.

Thanks Fredrik, but as I actually had to throw away my 2 previous sustain pedals for exactly the same issues (hanging sustains, sometimes unresponsive etc.), and also after opening this one up and seeing just how cheap it is made…I have come to the conclusion that I simply need to buy a more expensive one next time.

PS. I am considering buying this one, as the reviews says it is built like a tank. It’s like a guitar foot switch, but many use it as a sustain pedal: https://www.thomann.de/se/boss_fs5u.htm

1 Like

Interesting. Sorry to hear that Mike. I actually have a cheap Proline sus pedal and it’s pretty solidly built–had it for years and had no problems. Are you certain it’s a problem with the pedal? I ask because I experience similar problems with my Komplete controller inside Kontakt.

When I’m on ant individual instrument track, regardless of what my modulation curve is for that track, it will suddenly play based on where the mod wheel is physically set at that moment instead of following the mod curve, and I have to click on a track that has no MIDI data at that given moment to make the offending track go back to its recorded dynamic. Wondering if this is a bug within Kontakt?

1 Like

Yes, as I wrote to David above, I even opened it up and tried manually switching the pedal up and down. It is indeed glitching from the very connection inside. I have had other gear/tools glitch over the years, and going forward I will simply choose a more expensive brand for everything, as it seems you get what you pay for! :stuck_out_tongue:

I was really surprised at how cheaply it was made inside, when from the outside and feel the M-Audio pedal seems very sturdy. But apparently they went the cheap China way inside it! =/

PS. I am using Pianoteq to test since you can physically see when you press/release the sustain pedal.

1 Like

What’s your Daw?

1 Like

I bought my second one - a M-Audio pedal.
After I prepared the Kontakt Player Full Version as a Stand Alone
and told ‘him’ to use the pedal - it seems to work. But I failed a couple
of times and did not use ANY pedal for 2 years. Now as I am starting to to some piano work - I needed it. I hope for the best. Good luck - Adam

1 Like

Studio One 5

1 Like

Pedal is one of those things you think, it’s one signal, it should just work. How hard can it be?
But for me I the beginning all sorts of crazy things happened. I fiddled around and it just started working fine. Don’t know why, don’t know what I did but I’m grateful it works. I just play on and hope for the best.

1 Like

It should simply just work, but now after opening it up and testing it by hand manually on the switch inside, I realize why it “glitches”. It was simply super crappy China quality inside. =(

1 Like

If you want a really good set up go for the RPU-3 Roland triple pedal. It is a real pro set up, it never moves, is built to last decades. I have had mine for ten years and it is like new. https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Roland-RPU-3-Pedal-Unit-for-Digital-Pianos/art-KEY0003028-000

Having the three pedals together, stops the slipping and sliding. I only wish ther was a four pedal version with an expression pedal too

1 Like

Ah yes, the “slipping pedal” is another issue indeed. :stuck_out_tongue:
I will consider that one, Roland is a great brand. I have to stop buying these cheaper brand products, they are all bad quality and fails.

All you need is 5-56😅

1 Like

5-56? Sorry, I don’t understand the joke. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

https://5-56.nu/ :smiley:

Maybe more like when you have corrosion, water, or things are starting to seize - but I suppose it works as a general contact lubricator as well…

1 Like

Ah well, I remember now, Fredrik works in a practical job and used to these things. Myself however, is about as handy as a drunk tortoise turned upside down. :stuck_out_tongue:

When things fail my usual approach is to scream loudly at it with lots of curse words, while beating it a bit so that it may see its wrongdoings! :joy:

2 Likes

Sorry, thought most Swedes had heard the Swedish version of YMCA. Det går så bra med lite 5-56

2 Likes

Common problem! There are tons of cheap sustain pedals out there, I’ve had to replace a few. There is a pedal made by nektar that I really like for my synths, but its cheap and breaks often so i just replace them when I need to haha. For my piano keyboard I have a more roland pedals and they never break or malfunction for many years

2 Likes

Ah, thanks Peter. I will definitely get a Roland (or other famous brand) next time. :slight_smile:

Do you use MIDI Monitor to check the signal? It’s a free, indispensable tool (for Mac) that lists all MIDI messages; you can filter by source, port, channel, message type, etc. it’s fantastic for troubleshooting problems like this.

Also, I can confirm that the Boss FS-5U is an absolute champ. I used one for many years on tour with Cirque du Soleil after getting frustrated with cheap sustain pedals, and the FS-5U was rock solid. I was using it to trigger Ableton, not as an actual sustain pedal, though. It will feel much different than an actual sustain pedal - it’s more like a guitar stomp button, so there’s almost no “travel” compared to a normal sustain. So that might take some getting used to. But the one I used was practically bulletproof.

Hope this helps!
Jim

2 Likes