Sustain Pedal Problem - Is it just me?

Pedal is one of those things you think, it’s one signal, it should just work. How hard can it be?
But for me I the beginning all sorts of crazy things happened. I fiddled around and it just started working fine. Don’t know why, don’t know what I did but I’m grateful it works. I just play on and hope for the best.

1 Like

It should simply just work, but now after opening it up and testing it by hand manually on the switch inside, I realize why it “glitches”. It was simply super crappy China quality inside. =(

1 Like

If you want a really good set up go for the RPU-3 Roland triple pedal. It is a real pro set up, it never moves, is built to last decades. I have had mine for ten years and it is like new. https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Roland-RPU-3-Pedal-Unit-for-Digital-Pianos/art-KEY0003028-000

Having the three pedals together, stops the slipping and sliding. I only wish ther was a four pedal version with an expression pedal too

1 Like

Ah yes, the “slipping pedal” is another issue indeed. :stuck_out_tongue:
I will consider that one, Roland is a great brand. I have to stop buying these cheaper brand products, they are all bad quality and fails.

All you need is 5-56😅

1 Like

5-56? Sorry, I don’t understand the joke. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

https://5-56.nu/ :smiley:

Maybe more like when you have corrosion, water, or things are starting to seize - but I suppose it works as a general contact lubricator as well…

1 Like

Ah well, I remember now, Fredrik works in a practical job and used to these things. Myself however, is about as handy as a drunk tortoise turned upside down. :stuck_out_tongue:

When things fail my usual approach is to scream loudly at it with lots of curse words, while beating it a bit so that it may see its wrongdoings! :joy:

2 Likes

Sorry, thought most Swedes had heard the Swedish version of YMCA. Det går så bra med lite 5-56

2 Likes

Common problem! There are tons of cheap sustain pedals out there, I’ve had to replace a few. There is a pedal made by nektar that I really like for my synths, but its cheap and breaks often so i just replace them when I need to haha. For my piano keyboard I have a more roland pedals and they never break or malfunction for many years

2 Likes

Ah, thanks Peter. I will definitely get a Roland (or other famous brand) next time. :slight_smile:

Do you use MIDI Monitor to check the signal? It’s a free, indispensable tool (for Mac) that lists all MIDI messages; you can filter by source, port, channel, message type, etc. it’s fantastic for troubleshooting problems like this.

Also, I can confirm that the Boss FS-5U is an absolute champ. I used one for many years on tour with Cirque du Soleil after getting frustrated with cheap sustain pedals, and the FS-5U was rock solid. I was using it to trigger Ableton, not as an actual sustain pedal, though. It will feel much different than an actual sustain pedal - it’s more like a guitar stomp button, so there’s almost no “travel” compared to a normal sustain. So that might take some getting used to. But the one I used was practically bulletproof.

Hope this helps!
Jim

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion Jim, I will look that up later. But for the long run I will probably just get the Boss switch to use as sustain pedal. To be honest I think I would prefer shorter travel, as I like to time my sustain pedal better anyway.

exactly the Same. . . I still have the StudioLogic KeyBoard and it surely is the generator of strange midi glitches. . . not just on the sustain pedal, but in the volume pedal and when I do automations with its joysticks . . . . . super glitchy… (thats why I got an iCon Platform M+ for automations… and I love it!) still use the main joystick for glide and the second one sometimes for expression…

hey @Mikael have you tried in your Native Instruments keyboard? the pedal circuit is so basic that it is robust in nature, I would invest better on a quality midi keyboard. . . I believe it could very well be the StudioLogic keyboard and its circuitry and voltages…

2 Likes

Hey @Mikael I forgot… check your outputs with a midi monitor:
Mac OS : https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

Then you’ll know the pedal is ok, or the KeyBoard …

2 Likes

I actually switched the pedal into my Native Instruments keyboard, and the sustain pedal glitch seems gone. So it perhaps was my StudioLogic keyboard that was the issue.

1 Like

… my studioLogic likes to give strange glitches too, I hope you got this fixed.

Download that Midi Monitor. . . .It is useful anyway. :+1:

2 Likes

OK so now my sustain pedal have started glitching (get stuck on “sustain”) again, even when connected to my NI keyboard and in the other polarity mode. NEVER again will I buy a cheap product like this, so frustrating!!!

1 Like

I bet you will :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hey Mike, I could bet (but I wont :slight_smile: ) that it is not the pedal, or if it is, it may well be something like the cable or a bad plug…

Use the Midi-Meter

1 Like