Studio Desk - What do you use?

Hey friends, Mike here! :slight_smile:
So, I’ve been using an IKEA office desk for years. It’s even a corner desk, that I flipped around, which makes no sense at all for other people lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

What Studio Desk are you using, and do you like it?
Also, if money was no issue, which Studio Desk would you get?

Here’s the one I’ve been looking at for a while now. It’s over 1000 dollars if I convert the currency. So yeah, expensive…but I still want it haha.

1 Like

Just to make it hard for you: Imagine how many plugins you could by for 1000 dollars. :grinning:

1 Like

Honestly, for my entire “wish list” (yes I am still like a 10 year old boy on Christmas writing wish lists lol)…I would probably afford a Tesla or Ferrari hahaha :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I built mine based on plans I found on the internet. It has served my purposes pretty well. It is a bit bulky though.

I can find the link if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

That’s a space station, that is! :stuck_out_tongue:
Haha, really cool though Randy. I’m curious, how do you use those screens (from an arrangement standpoint).

1 Like

Lol! Right now since I’m working from home, I use the left two for my work work and the right two for composition. I’ve not been able to get the large third screen working with the two mounted on the desk for my desktop.

1 Like

Well I see you are like me in this sense, I like screen real estate! Big space, high resolution. Need lots of them pixels haha. :slight_smile:

I would like to get a 3rd screen later on. Have even been considering having an ultrawide as the main “middle screen” for the sequencer.

1 Like

nice, has the shape of an organ. I have to look what I would want if money not an issue, but for me I use a mobile desk with wheels, cause I don’t have room for a desk but I got used to this…

1 Like

I like this one so far because I like simplicity in a room and don’t enjoy dark colors feels like I’m in a tube, but I would like the fix keyboard shelf to be higher, wonder how much more money it is to ask for a custom built one…I find that the lower the keyboard the more pressure on my wrist. Actually this one isn’t that low come to think of it, so here’s my answer- this one I want this one!!

1 Like

Yeah we all have different needs. I could not compose without a real weighted piano keys MIDI keyboard. And I would like it at piano height, and the tray MUST be super sturdy, no wobbling whatsoever when playing. The master MIDI keyboard is basically the absolute centre piece of my studio. That is why I would like a professional desk like this where it would get perfect placement.

2 Likes

Yeah I noticed your tray is up higher, how I like it too.

Right now I have my MIDI keyboard on top of my desk. And that makes the piano keys to high. Check a real piano height (keys from the floor). That is the height I want my MIDI keyboard. :slight_smile:

Studio problems, indeed… I really want the wood one, do you think that’s overpriced?

1 Like

Hard to say, as these not the common desks exactly haha. But those did not lock like proper rack units? Only a shelf basically. I think racks are great to have for gear, upgrades in the future.

1 Like

Oh ya true. Well, I can always buy two desks maybe one for composing with monitors on it and one for gear maybe. Thanks though.

1 Like

Ah yes, there are these floor units with racks of course. Some with wheels. Depends on how you use your gear I suppose. A desk setup is more reachable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just came up with an idea but I may have to patten it first…

I have a Zaor Miza M Black Cherry desk and i’m super happy with my purchase. It has the right hight with a retractable full keyboard tray. It’s heavy but the build is high quality and super solid.

Here’s what it looks like

1 Like

Hello Medhat, this is the exact brand of desks I’ve been looking at. I have some “hesitations though”. I’m 188cm tall, and the lower part of the keyboard tray is just 60cm leg room. =/

I’m 1m80 so I feel your pain :slight_smile: What matters is placing the pedal where it feels comfortable and having a good chair that adjusts the height. I’m using a Herrmann Miller Aeron chair, it’s fantastic, and since I’m quarantined at home with this virus, I really miss it.