Spitfire BBC Orchestra Discover (For Free!)

eeehm you guys are the experts, but if i play violin 1 at around g3 and a3 and play my epic strings I feel like they don’t match. for me it sounds like the sound isn’t pitched right… am i wrong?

Well every single instrument and every single note will always have a tiny different tuning in real life. It’s like playing the guitar, look at the tuning meter, and you see how the frequency/tuning fluctuates.

However, with high quality expensive sample libraries they really should make sure the tuning is not too off. Some libraries have some notes in some dynamics that can be odd, but it is not a common issue these days.

Also g3 on a violin is in the “edge” of the instrument range, and all instruments have their “glory range” and the “struggle range”. The closer to the edge of the instrument’s range, often it sounds more forced. This is something to be aware of, the technical term is tessitura, and you can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessitura

1 Like

Absolutely agree with that, but i think that in discover only some notes are played in, and the pitch is done by software. so here might be a bug.
for sure, the 23GB version will not have these problems :slight_smile:

Mikael nailed it… though if also say that at that note degree the V1 is at the bottom of its range. Violins generally sound best in octaves and above C4…

They will most definitely only use around 24 of Si samples for the strings, that’s why it’s so light of a library. But that only means that they are changing notes every 3rd or 4th. So actually it won’t make much difference. You’ll also find that libraries with less notes often sound nearly as good as those with a ton of samples. It’s to do with the law of diminishing returns. So I wouldn’t say that a bug… it’s just a feature of the library :slight_smile: as I said earlier. Every library has limitations and it’s our job to work alongside those limitations, not fight them… because we can’t fight something MF we can’t change :slight_smile:

1 Like

haha, thats true :slight_smile:
one of my golf pros once told me, play the course, not play against the course, its the same here :slight_smile:
For free, im not sad, i just use it in the higher octaves :smiley:
But in fact i really like the horns, imho they sound great.

2 Likes

Yeah the bass bone is awesome. There’s no horns in this library though :sob:

these?

Have any of you tried Cinematic Studio Brass? It’s my main go to brass library and it’s as detailed as CSS. It’s set up as a traditional orchestra (4Hn, 2Tp, 2Tb, bass Tb, Tuba, plus solo patches for each) First thing I played when I bought it was the main trumpet theme from the Raiders March from Indian Jones and Superman and it was nearly spot on.
High RAM though with those libraries. I’ve got to get a more powerful Mac to handle a full orchestral set up with those libraries. Just waiting for him to drop his woodwind collection :grin:

2 Likes

Oh wow did I miss the horns!!! That’s amazing :smiley: that’s not where horns live on an orchestra so I missed that box :joy::joy:

So excited to try this out now!! I hope they sound good!!!

1 Like

I love spitfire studio brass. Super nice sound… extremely bright which is g great for modern stuff but awesome for John williams style stuff though.

I haven’t heard that one, but here is a link to a short demo of the Imperial March made almost exclusively with CSS and CSB. It’s a traditional orchestration: IVn, IIVn, Va, Ce, Ba with 4 solo horn patches. I only overlayed the strings with a separate ProjectSAM short string patch to add some depth. Light compression and Valhalla Room reverb.
https://soundcloud.com/parnassus-musique/imperial-march

Ah fab I’ll take a listen in a bit.

Check out spitfire studio. It’s a drg library with so much going for it. I also use Caspian from performance samples as they’re beefy and awesome!

Wow! Performance Samples sound really good! Quite similar to Cinematic Studios, with that kind of “classic” film score sound. I do have Spitfire’s originals wind and brass as well as strings, which I like so I’ll need to check out more of their stuff. Filled out the form for BBCO Discovery so we’ll see what that’s like.

1 Like

Yeah they are exceptionally good, and they aren’t that expensive. Occasionally the come on sale too. I got it for £100 which was totally worth it.

1 Like

I have Css strings and Css studio brass. I love them and use them in petty much every project. I’m also waiting for woodwinds. Very exciting. Hope it gets out soon.

2 Likes

Yes I have heard CSB, and it’s on my wish list. I also am going to upgrade to a new Mac this year. I am hoping to hear some cool announcements from Apple in June, so I will wait.

1 Like

Just filled their questionnaire. It looks like an application in order to see if you are eligible. I’ll let you know what happens next.

2 Likes

You are eligible. The form is mainly for their market research team :slight_smile:

1 Like