Selling Licenses of your Music on your own Website

I have toyed with the idea of skipping Audiojungle and other marketplaces completely, and instead simply create my own website for selling my own music for sync licensing. Have anyone of you tried this alternative? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes! absolutely yes!
but how will u get 1.000.000 clicks per day to sell maybe 20$ ?
you need a lot of advertising to do that. idk how to archiev that… :confused:

True, but the thing that disturbs me the most is that on AJ you compete with millions. Anyone that would come to my website, would only get to choose between different compositions that I personally created.

I believe you would have to find some USP (unique selling proposition), and I would personally go for something like: Selling in packages. Complete albums of one style perhaps.

1 Like

Maybe single tracks too, and albums with a discounted price.
How many clicks has professionalcomposers.com per day?

I think you should try it as soon as you can…

1 Like

Well I think I would need to make a new website, as my current one has the complete wrong target audience (other composers) :stuck_out_tongue:

btw. do you think about drm within your tracks or albums?

Not sure I follow, what does drm stand for?

Digital Rights Management, like Apple does
so not everybody can copy your tracks or work

Honestly I have no idea how to even do that. But I was planning to use Adrev or some content ID system like that.

Well, check out sites like Tunebud - I tried it out once and was really nice, but I had for a few years a music publishing company (Raven Music Group) and used sourceaudio instead. In the end it was as publisher hard to keep up with all the competition and I had around 30 composers on board and decided it was more fair to not keep them in the loop and stop with it and at that time Triple Spiral Audio started to grow as well, but nowadays I am toying also again to have a site with just my own music.
For info on tunebud, check out -https://www.tunebud.com/

1 Like

I haven’t tried it but maybe an alternative to a homepage could be something like:https://www.sourceaudio.com/

Ah thank you for that suggestion Stephan, it might be an option. However, I would personally prefer the control of having it all on my website. I just looked briefly so I might have misunderstood the service.

1 Like

You would need lots of marketing for traffic if you were to sell only from your own website and not any stock music libraries, I don’t think I could make that work for me at all, but of course I don’t know your reach. Why not do both, sell on your personal website, but also sell in stock music libraries? If you at some point get the traffic to make enough money that you can manage with it, then maybe cut off the libraries?

I don’t mind the competition in AudioJungle, I’m doing alright so far considering how few tracks I have there, I think finding the correct niches where there is demand is part of the challenge. The price dumping is pretty annoying though, people trying to compete selling quality tracks for $5 and making $1 for each sale. I keep my prices in high medium (around $29).

1 Like

Yes, I am starting to feel the same. Audiojungle is simply so big in reach, I just checked a statistics page, they are the 18000s most visited website in the world! I guess there are billions of websites so that shows how popular they are! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am a bit afraid that the “subscription model” starts to spread in stock music. I’ve heard the pay for composers goes down like 90% or more on libraries starting to use that model.

This is an interesting consideration. I currently have dozens of tracks in my own private library that I haven’t done anything with yet. I made the tracks especially for stock libraries. Now is the moment that I want to enter the market with it, but when I see how saturated the large libraries like Audiojungle and Pond5 are (and the extremely disrespectful low prices…), I have my doubts. How are you going to stand out among millions of tracks?Perhaps it is even more profitable to keep them private and wait until you can use them in an upfront job.

The whole market is oversaturated imo. Why pay $200+ for an underscore when I can license it for $15? Yes of course, exclusivity. But then you as a director you shouldn’t look in a library.

I don’t know if it is a good idea to start a stock library yourself. An enormous amount of time then goes into acquiring customers. The best scenario would be to start an exclusive fresh new library with a small collective of composers and marketeers.

I agree. It makes me sad. Music is cheaper than ever. The giants are guzzling more money every day and less sticks to the composers…

P.S. Is there a special sync-music section on this forum?

AJ and Pond5 has been a waste of time for me, I think the train already left the station on those platforms. There may be others popping up, but yes every new one seem to be opting for that sad “cheap subscription” model. =/

Not a specific section for licensing/sync etc. I think it goes very well in the “Business & Career” section. :slight_smile:

I think a good move would be to keep posting something on such websites… and in the “package” you’ll give to anyone downloading it have a link that directs on your own website in case they want more.

That… or you’ll have to make a lot of collaborations with other websites to get outer links pointing at your domain to have it rise in the ranks on google… Blogs usually helps for SEO (yeah I’ve studied it) but it takes a lot of time and well… I don’t think a “sale” website would have a lot to write for SEO anyway.

You’d probably also have to get togheter a list of all the reviewers you can find on the net and contact them one by one asking for reviews etc… reviewers, youtubers, music magazines… yopu could also try and look for film directors or popular youtube channels… and propose to give them music for free in exchange for visibility… stuff like that.

2 Likes

if you have a platform and people know of you already, you could do it successfully, especially if you link your website to your social media platforms you’re known from. Also instagram and facebook can be business friendly places to get people noticing what you’re doing and that you’re selling music.

I don’t see one.

I have chosen to collect everything that has to do with the professional aspect of being a composer: licensing, gigs, custom music, marketing, selling etc. in this “Business & Career” section. I rather have fewer but broader main categories than lots and lots of small sub categories.