Score the world My Submission for son of saul

Hello
this years again i have submit my work for the competition score the world
this year the video is an extract from the movie son of saul
thanks for watching

2 Likes

Nice Florent, could you add some creative insights into the music composition, production etc? :slight_smile:

yes of course
the main work for me is too analyse the video , i decide to divide in 3 different part
.each part has a tempo different
part 1 : 80 bpm ( prisonner walk in the forest, in the wood house, the little children and the prisonner
part 2 : 125 : german soldier arrive
part 3 : 80 bpm
i try to find a little theme but not very easy, i find a little leimotiv on the piano you can hear it when the children appears at the door
as regard the instrumentation
STRING :
String : Violon 1 and viola sustain, string Ens Con sordino, Long Tremolo, pizz bartock, flautando to bring a special color at the texture, harmonic to bring tension
WOODWIND:
piccolo, flute, clarinet oboe, bass clarinet , basson all have the articulation sustain and spiccato
for the flute i use the articulation hollow that it is a lot noise and the harmonic on the basson
BRASS :
Trumpet, Horn solo, Horn a2, Horn a6, trombone and tuba
for trombone and horn i use the articulation cuivré to bring more dramatic color
PERCUSSION :
triangle, timpani, big drum, snare drum, cymballs, crash cymballs, cymballs FX
there is also a Harp and a Piano

i start to create the main sketch on the piano, then i have started to orchestrate each part and finally synchronize with the picture ( just a little because i don’t want a disney like)

there is no additional FX, i use mainly library from spitfire audio

as regard the harmony : F minor for the half first part till the children appear, then it goes to C minor ( Cm/G, Dm/A, Fm9/C , Cm7) then it goes to D major when the Germans arrive, and go back to C minor for the end

don’t hesitate to ask me question if you want more detail

1 Like

Very nice. I like the pensiveness of your piano pattern. And I think the higher string lines worked really well. That’s a really long shot of him slowly smiling, isn’t it? Good luck in the contest!

1 Like

i think i will post the result as soon as i have it
it will be very interresting because it is very detailled