Ryan Leach October 2022 Composing Competition

This is my entry for the Ryan Leach October 2022 Composing Competition. The scoring challenge was to write a 90 second solution that reflects the artwork’s story and can be performed by the 30-piece Czech National Symphony Orchestra. The notation program I used was Dorico Pro 4 with NotePerformer 3 as the playback engine. Thank you to all for offering this challenge. It was a pleasure to work on.

3 Likes

This is a very atmospheric piece, which seems to be a mixture of weirdness and struggle. :smiley:

2 Likes

Clinton, Wow- lots of motion and spookiness going on there. Like a dark and stormy night. Really like your approach to the image.

Here is my entry. Entitled “Boo! Did I scare you?”, in honor of my niece, who as a small child would sit next to me and say the above multiple times in the course of a few minutes. :^)

All done on my ipad using the notation software Staffpad, with just the default instruments for the sounds.

Steven

1 Like

Very well done Steven. Good storytelling solution! The pizzicato sections work really well to hold our interest and wonder what’s coming (great foreshadowing). I think you’ve got a winner . . .

Clinton- thanks for your encouraging words! Good luck to both of us!

Steven

You can feel the movement and you get swept up into it.

1 Like

Love it! It has a Spanish flair. Love the ending. Perfect!

1 Like

Fun piece Steven. Good luck in the contest! Love Halloween, my favorite time of year. Maybe I’ll do an album of spooky/horror music after I finish my Ghostblade album…whenever that may be.

Matt

1 Like

Thank you . . .