Classical-electronic music, virtual orchestraton

Creative Vision for the Track:
To write a virtual string quartet

Composition Details (Tempo, Key, Main Chords etc):
See score

Main Instruments used:
Vienna Symphonic Library solo violin (2), solo viola, solo cello

**PLAY**

This is a work-in-progress, 1st movement only is complete.

2 Likes

Hi Jerry.
This movement is hauntingly beautiful and refreshingly anarchistic. Frees the mind and spirit.
It feels to me that because of the discoveries of the Webb telescope and your own astral work, you may be portraying full outer universes rather than any emptiness in space. So, if this is the case, are you deconstructing Music to express the new awarenesses? Just curious. Anyway, your music is courageous in opening up new vistas, breaking old structures and boundaries- exploratory. Warm Regards, Dori

Hi Dori,

Thanks for the kind comments! I’ve never thought of myself as deconstructing music. I write what pleases my ear and mind, and they I rework, rework and rework it again until it sounds effortless, natural and inevitable.

Sincerely,
Jerry

Jerry Gerber,

I’m new to this forum. Your quartet is an interesting piece, especially the last movement with its rather tense atmosphere. Thanks for uploading the score with the sound file.
You do have some tricky triple and quadruple stops (especially in the first violin part) that may be considered very challenging if not impossible. My understanding, as a non-string player, is that only the two upper notes can be held for extended time; third and fourth notes on lower strings are quickly dropped from the chord and cannot be held. I respectfully ask for any bowed string musicians on this forum to enlighten us on this matter.
Best regards,
Toure

Hi Toure,

You’re making the assumption, which is understandable, that this piece is intended for live players. However, it is not, it’s designed and produced for virtual instruments, hence the title “Quartet for Virtual Strings”.

If I wanted it played by live players I’d of course re-write it so that everything is playable, but that’s not my intention or desire.

Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment.

Jerry