Professionally de-noised plugins

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows of some good if all possible free or paid professionally de-noised plugins ?
since at this time I having to use my iMac microphone and old iPhone 6 microphone
still be tryin to find my old zoom recorder but at this time no luck

As long as it’s “just” steady noise, hum etc, I don’t think you can get a better effort/result ratio than with Brusfri. There are some tweakable parameters, but for the most part, you can just slap it in, press the ear button for a moment, and be done with it.

If you have more serious problems, iZotope RX is probably the most powerful tool in existence. It lets you edit in the frequency domain, and also has a lot of advanced tools built on top of that, which allows you to rescue what would traditionally have been considered completely useless recordings. It also comes with a bunch of plugins to specifically deal with various problems (including noise) in real time. Standard and Advanced are expensive, but even Elements has the Voice De-noise plugin, which I suspect might be enough.

Apparently, you can get the Elements Suite (RX, Ozone, Neutron, Nectar etc) for $49 right now. :open_mouth: These are pretty stripped down versions, but already very powerful tools.

5 Likes

David Thanks I watched the video and that looks like a perfect option for The when recording in small space as my one bedroom apartment
I really like the guy when he claps before and after the result nice :+1:

Now if I end up going out side not on a very windy day but clam weather day
and I just start recording outside ,hitting pipes or trees or any object I find with my iPhone mic pointing direct at the source I am trying to record
Then I will need that RX Standard etc…
Is that correct?

Still learning
And is this right when I do any recording make sure I am recording with the highest volume level without clipping
will this also keep the noise floor down ?

1 Like

Pretty much, yeah. Brusfri or RX Voice De-noise should be enough for removing the noise, whereas if you have more irregular disturbances (rustle, rumble, wind, a distant train, …), you’ll have to use RX with it’s “AI” tools, or even edit manually.

Of course, it’s best to not have the issues in the first place, but accidents happen (a lot). Also, if you want an absolutely clean signal to use completely naked, or for aggressive sound design, it may not even be enough to record in a proper studio; it may still require cleaning.

Depends… These days, 24 bit converters are pretty much standard, even in consumer devices, so the old “use all bits” with 16 bit interfaces no longer applies. A decent studio audio interface will have around 110 dB SNR on the analog side. Some are closer to 120 dB.

However, in most cases, I think you’ll find that the mic pre-amp, and possibly even the integrated amp in studio mics (the ones that require phantom power) will create the only noise you’ll ever hear, and most/all of that, unfortunately, will follow the gain, so there’s nothing much you can do about it.

What’s more important now (and always was with digital recording) is to avoid clipping, because that can totally ruin a take. There are de-clip plugins, but since they’re trying to reconstruct completely lost data, there’s only so much they can do. (Unlike de-noise, which “just” removes some unwanted information.) So basically, unless you have very noisy gear, focus on headroom, rather than noise floor.

2 Likes

Forgive me David when a You said focus more on headroom rather then the noise floor could You explain abit more on that
sorry I looked it up and abit confuse
Since I would think my iPhone would be considered a noisy gear

1 Like

Well, I’m not very familiar with how those devices implement microphone amps, though I suspects it’s pretty much the usual deal: Lots of noise, and likely some form of AGC, that can probably be disabled in the sound configuration. Still, even if the ADCs are “only” 16 bits, SNR of the mic preamp will most likely be much worse than that, so you won’t be loosing actual information to truncation unless you turn the level down extremely low.

To know for sure, just do some test recordings of a consistent sound source (sound played by another device, for example) at different mic levels, normalize the results, and compare the noise floor. If there’s no difference, that means all the noise is on the “wrong” side of the gain control and beyond your control, and all you can do is make sure to set the level low enough to avoid clipping.

1 Like

David thanks I will tested and get back to You how do I post audio in this forum not sure how ?

1 Like

The easiest way is probably to use SoundCloud or similar (not sure which ones are fully supported), and just post the link. The forum system will create an embedded player automatically for the supported sites.