Pierlala Again, Tribute to a Free Mind

RULES: “Pierlala Again…” is a musical evocation of a mythical figure in Flanders, Germany and the Netherlands, called “Pierlala”. He personalizes the spirit of the people seeking freedom throughout difficult periods in history. He appears in many different eras with always the same message: questioning and fighting the rulers of that time. He dies many times, but arises from the tomb whenever he is necessary to guide the people in their struggle for freedom.
In this evocation, Pierlala is born (again) in the beginning, then we hear the main tune during his youth, followed by some quarrels, mockery, scorn… We meet him again during the Belgian Revolution (1830), after which he dies (temporarily). So far, he hasn’t reappeared again…

Genre/Style: baroque/classical/neo-romantic

Creative Vision for the Track: It’s not really ‘descriptive’ or program music, but rather an evocation with distinct themes in different styles, according to the era in which Pierlala appears.

Composition Details (Tempo, Key, Main Chords etc): main key: G minor, E flat major, G major; tempi: 60; 4/4, 3/4, 2/4; chords according to the key.

Main Instruments used: extended symphonic orchestra

3 Likes

Very nice musical movements evocative of the period it depicts.
I still don’t understand the ideology behind the Belgium independance movement, if the people really wanted it and what was really at stake economically and culturally. Was there oppression from France?

1 Like

Thank you, Marc.
For once in our history, France had very little to do with the Belgian independence. The era of the French Revolution and Napoleon were already in the past. From 1815 till 1830 Belgium was under Dutch hegemony (Holland). The king was Willem I van Oranje. The Netherlands were protestant (reformed) and Belgium was mainly catholic. The clergy pushed towards independence to get rid of the Dutch oppressor, which finally succeeded after the opera de F. Auber La Mute de Portici. I reworked a short passage near the end of my piece (it was a song about freedom of the nation: Amour Sacré de la Patrie). After the opera, people revolted in the streets of Brussels. That was the direct start of the separation from Holland.
That is the simplified story.

1 Like

Thank you Jos for the clarification.
I like l’amour sacré de la patrie which is a theme important for our times as well. Global governance through self-appointed technocracies like the EU and the World Economic Forum is a modern threat to this very idea.
Your music finds meaning in a struggle that is multi-generational, and Pierlala should be here today as a witness too.
Thank you.

1 Like

Gorgeous music and deeply meaningful theme

1 Like

Thank you, Dori.
The main theme is actually a flemish folk song about Pierlala and his historic reappearances. I used it in many different forms and styles to represent the various eras. This piece has already been performed live a number of times (which is always very interesting to hear the real balances within the orchestra).

I enjoyed that!
Jerry

1 Like