One does NOT Simply add Chords in the Low End :)

Hello Composers, Mike here! :slight_smile:
Check out my YouTube Video to learn about chord voices for the low end of your music:

WATCH VIDEO: One does NOT Simply add Chords in the Low End

4 Likes

There’s a mathematical rule of thumb for this: The difference between the frequencies in an interval - also known as the beat frequency - should land within the audible range.

Or, in a more general form, higher beat frequencies sound more pure, which explains why certain intervals and certain timbres sound more “pure” than others on any given root note. High beat frequencies sound more like tones, and less like modulation/“warble”, and since the beat frequencies transpose along with the notes, any given harmony will sound less pure in lower octaves. Also, timbres (like brass) with more overtones and less fundamental, shift focus towards higher beat frequencies, reducing the low beat frequencies to a subtle low rumble that just makes for a bigger sound.

3 Likes

Great video! I love the keyboard along the bottom of the screen with the note names. Cool! For a comparison, when I teach this to my students, I instruct them to avoid forming “chords” below A2, which is a minor third below your C3 reference point. But we are really close to the same! Anyhow, you explain things so clearly. I always learn something from your videos. Thank you.

2 Likes

Yes, mathematics seem to always play a role in music :slight_smile:
Ah, so that is why I always found brass to handle this better, interesting!

2 Likes

Yes, I got that idea about the keyboard at the bottom part of the screen from Mike Verta’s videos. It is a really interesting way of presenting I believe. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Mikael - Speaking of Mike Verta, I would like to purchase a couple of his videos today but there or so many, I don’t know where to begin. Would you recommend any particular videos?

All his videos are great, I hear many people love his orchestration classes.

1 Like