New Track: A Little Violin Noire

Hello lovely peoples!

Well, i seem to be getting back on track (no pun intended) and working on a completing some tracks. Here’s the first on I completed, called “A Little Violin Noire.” I did this in a few hours and ended up stying up all night :rofl: but I had this idea pop into my head right before bed, and, well, I just couldn’t let it go.

The result here, is a solo violin piece with a bit of a Macabre/Noire type of feel to it. i had been watching a show called, “Shadow House,” which has a little bit of a Victorian Gothy vibe to it and the music follows suit, so i wanted to write something that was like the score to a mystery/Goth scene, kind of like a character(s) searching a creepy abandoned mansion looking for clues.

Not much in the way of specifics for the music, as I wrote it mostly free tempo, but some of the phrases follow a standard 4/4 at about 90bpm. Mainly in the key of D Harmonic minor, sometimes straying into G harmonic minor. I used Spitfire solo violin for this and run through the Abbey Roads J37 emulator and mastered with iZotope Ozone 9

Thanks!
Matt

4 Likes

The use of various articulations and dynamics gave depth and emotion to your piece. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Lots of fun listening you freeform this. Lovely twists and turns. Very improvisational quality to it.
It gave me gothic smiles. Well done Matt.
Cheers,
Charlie :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for taking a listen! It was a bit more improve than I normally do (I’m not really good at it :laughing:) But I just had this little mystery/noire idea that I though would be fun. I’ll maybe do something a little more thought out next time–I like those kind of creepy Victorian Goth/mystery bits for some reason!

1 Like

Very nice! Love the vibe, was reminding me a bit of that Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downey Jr. I think that was a Hans Zimmer score. That’s a nice solo violin and you did a great job making it sound authentic. It really worked apart from a few spots where some fast legatos had trouble blending. Was that multiple articulations on different tracks or was that key switching?

1 Like

Thanks Mike. Actually it’s a performance patch that will switch from legato to staccato depending on how you play and you can assign a cc switch to the vibrato which will go to pizzicato if you move it to zero. The only thing I don’t like is that the sustain just keeps giving you a very audible re-bow. The solo strings on Audio Imperia’s SOLO library are better at this where you can change the re-bow technique so it has a more natural sustain type of playing.

Another amazing piece - so raw & powerful. I think we had a discussion about the power of a instrumental solo piece; the exposed emotion of a single instrument with a single message.

Gorgeous.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words. Especially solo strings–they have such unparalleled dynamics and all the different articulations help create very complex emotional pieces. One of the reasons I love Camille Saint-Saëns is for his use on solo strings in many of his larger works.

1 Like