Netflix / The Discovery Channel and other companies

Hi everyone, I assume by now you would have heard about the debacle that companies like Netflix and the Discovery Channel have created regarding their attempted byouts of the rights of composers with content created for their channels.

What are your views on it?

2 Likes

Yes Navid, sadly I have read all about this.
My views, as I’m sure most of you agree with is that this is complete bullshit what they are doing! I sincerely hope this could start a new wave among composers to start strong unions, which apparently all major roles in film, TV seem to have except composers.

Music has incredible value for any media production, and even some famous directors admit it to be 50% of the entire experience of the story. This has to be reflected in the value vs payment proportion for said music.

4 Likes

I heard of it via VI Control forum and I agree, it is completely outrageous what they’re trying to do. I know for myself that I’d never accept a deal like that if I was offered to work under those conditions.

I also never had a major gig yet, but hypothetically speaking, if Netflix or Discovery approached me and proposed a buyout, I’d kindly make a counteroffer with a request to be treated as all other composers before me, the way it’s been done for a 100 years now.

2 Likes

Statements from the various CMO’s and music library companies

BMI

SESAC
https://www.sesac.com/#!/headlines/articles/view/sesac-stands-with-songwriters-and-composers

PMA

ASCAP

… and last (but not least) from Christian Henson, co-owner of Spitfire Audio

4 Likes

There’s also a trending Tweet about this whole topic:

Happy Holidays, composers! @Discovery Networks found a way to cut your income by 90%. RT if you want composers to be paid fairly. https://bit.ly/2qZ423k @Gold_Rush @DeadliestCatch @StreetOutlaws #DiscoveryGreed #yourmusicyourfuture @yrmusicyrfuture

4 Likes

It is now an article on Billboard

4 Likes

This smells very bad PR for them, which they of course deserve. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

UPDATE: They backed down! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

AWESOMENESS!! The power of Composer unity.

2 Likes