MIDI CC Chart (Free Guide)

Hello Composers, Mike here :slight_smile:
I want to share a quick guide of MIDI CC parameters.

What is MIDI CC?
MIDI CC parameters are incredibly important for automation in your DAW to add movement, expression, variation etc. They can truly add “life” to your music compositions, and even make orchestral music on software instruments feel expressive, organic and full of life! =)

MIDI CC List – Most Common Parameters

• 1 = Modulation wheel
  • 2 = Breath Control
  • 7 = Volume
  • 10 = Pan
  • 11 = Expression
  • 64 = Sustain Pedal (on/off)
  • 65 = Portamento (on/off)
  • 71 = Resonance (filter)
  • 74 = Frequency Cutoff (filter)

PS. If you want the full list of CC parameters based on the GM standard, I have an article listing them all here: Complete MIDI CC Chart

Sincerely,
Mike

2 Likes

Hi Mike ,
Wow :astonished::grinning:
Do You happen to have a video on how and where to applies this in practice?
I would loved to use on my mod wheel and pitch bend wheel

1 Like

Pitch bend is not a CC-controller parameter, but MOD-wheel is, as all are faders and know if you have such on your MIDI keyboard.

I don’t have a video, but I might do one later, thanks for the suggestion Brian. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Mike ,
When You can much appreciated :wink:
because from that
MIDI CC parameters charts chart their looks like their is a lot of very creatively ideas and things that can be done with that chart :grinning:
Forgive I am new to midi

Can the physical pitch bend wheel be assigned to something else another midi parameter?

That is an interestning question. I am not 100% sure, perhaps it can if you have an advanced MIDI keyboard where you can program the MIDI output. But in most cases, no, pitch bend sends on its dedicated MIDI parameter based on the general MIDI standard.

However, it is always up to the software instrument to translate and connect incoming MIDI parameters to something inside the instrument. Pitch bend is almost always already pre-mapped to well, pitch bend in the instrument. But…in some rare cases the developer have mapped the pitch bend input to do something else.

You know, I am just realising this is a HUGE area of music compostition. All the expression modulation and automation you can do. I will have to think about this, it might even become a complete course focusing on expression and automation in music composition. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Mike ,
How many midi parameters or controls can you assigned to one mod wheel or fader etc…?

Meaning can you do more then 2 things with the same mod wheel

MOD-wheel is assigned to CC1 on your hardware itself, meaning it outputs on CC1. Then in each instrument in your DAW, you map CC values to parameters. Most instruments can only map one CC to one parameter, but again this is why I love Omnisphere, where you can you the modulation matrix to map the MOD wheel or any other input, to lots of parameters! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok after doing some research
I come up with these question

How to Assign Multi Parameters to single MIDI Controller in Logic ?

Like a Multi MIDI Channel + Output Hybrid

I hope this make sense?

Most instruments as far as I know you can only map one controller (knob, fader etc.) to one parameter. In Omnisphere however, you have the modulation matrix where you can do multiple assignments for any controller.

Honestly, if you want to map more parameters the best solution in my opinion is having many faders on your MIDI keyboard…or if you lack that, buy a small “fader controller”. Like the Korg Nanokontrol for example. :slight_smile:

What I am trying to do
Ok my end goal here is to create 2 - 4 layer of different sounds so they sound together as one sound
and use this multiple parameters assignment type of thing map it to the mod wheel so I can play and record with the mod wheel in real time

I will look in getting a physical hardware fader panel

But won’t be for a while