Mental block and inability to compose

Hi to all,
I really need a lot of help.
When I was a boy (20 to 25 years old) I was a simple DJ and I also composed pieces of techno / trance and eurodance for fun with some instruments, they were simple things but they sounded good and I liked them.

Now for about 2 years (I’m 40) I have chosen to resume my musical journey and compose a hybrid of electronic epic music and I am fascinated by the idea of ​​composing all kinds of musical genres, the music of the world is so wonderful.
I bought some excellent Home level equipment, I did some composition, mix and mastering courses.

My huge problem is that I have a lot of music in mind, but every time I sit in front of the DAW I feel empty and unable. I like most of the music of others while what I compose does not convince me at all. All this makes me suffer and sometimes the idea of ​​selling everything escapes me, but obviously I would never do it.
Where am I wrong?

Elia De Santis

3 Likes

One idea maybe?
Take notes with your phone when you hear music in your mind and work from there.

3 Likes

Agree with #Stephan Lindsjö. That’s how I do it. Also have a piano app to create simpler melodies on the run.
Also get faster at working in your daw makes it simpler.
I sometimes struggle with the inspiration disappears in front of the screen.

2 Likes

Thanks Stephan, in fact I recently started doing as you say, it seems to work better this way.

1 Like

Fredrik, quindi, non sono l’unico a trovarmi con questa difficoltà. Grazie per il vostro sostegno

Elia, interesting that you also come from the 90s techno/trance era. That’s when I started making music, back in the “tracker software” days! :wink:

I can completely understand the overwhelming feeling. I think we all feel this way sometimes. One thing I highly recommend to reduce this feeling is to start with a sketch. Let’s say 8 bars or 16 bars, of only one track for percussion, one for rhythm (for example a bassline), one for chords, and one for your main melody/theme.

This breakdown makes it much easier to not only get started, but also keep your main overall idea in focus! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dear Mike,
in your courses you often say it, stay at the basics and start with rhythm, chords and melody, limit your choices and don’t get lost in doing too many things together, so I will really have to adopt all this, but I have a hard head and I will have to give myself time :slight_smile: Many thanks

2 Likes

I promise you it works! :slight_smile:

Another thing is to not get overwhelmed with all choices of plugins, sample libraries, instrument choices. That is why I recommend just using the basics: Drum Kit for Percussion, Bass (or ostinato strings) for Rhythm, Piano/Strings for Chords, and any lead instrument you prefer for the main theme.

3 Likes

Also another tip Elia. If you sketch with piano (which I love the most), then play the melody with your right hand, and bass in your left. Don’t even think about the chords at first. This will force your mind to think about the “main theme”, and not the harmonization of it.

Or start the other way around, meaning simply play a chord progression for 8 bars, loop it, and then start exploring melodies on top of it until you have something nice that you like for a sketch. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dear @eliOsc!

I wrote two absolutely free guides containing a lot of valuable content. Especially the second one, will be A HUGE game changer for you!

https://mailchi.mp/243ca47a7785/provenmusicproductionguide

I received incredible feedback so far, and I hope they will help you, as they already have helped many others! Enjoy!

To your success,
Alexey :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know how to thank you Alexey, this is a great gift!!! I am really sure that I will make it with all these precious suggestions.
Elia

1 Like