Low Brass Elegy

RULES: Fill out your track description below so that we get valuable insights into your music composition. Add your SoundCloud/YouTube link at the bottom. Then give feedback on fellow composer’s music.

GENRE: Low brass choir, piano, aux percussion

INSTRUMENTATION: 4 Tenor Trombones, 2 Bass Trombones, Euphonium, Tuba, Piano, Aux Perc

CREATIVE VISION: In 2013 tornados tore through the town of Moore, Oklahoma. They happened to strike two schools directly. Children and teachers both perished. As a parent I couldn’t imagine what the families who lost elementary school age children were going through. “Children of Moore” is my elegy for the children lost, the families who lost them, and to express my profound sadness.

Composition Details (Tempo, Key, Main Chords etc):

The first statement is played by unison bass trombone and euphonium. I wanted to ensure the use full warm sound of the large bore trombone coupled with the conical bore of the euphonium.

The second statement remains in unison adds the smaller bore tenor trombones in octaves. The phrase ends by adding the tuba and bass trombones on a low B2 chord.

As the piece progresses harmony is added through melodic coupling, two part harmonies, full extended chords.

The piano recorded here was played slightly faster than I intended due to broadcast run times. The quodlibet of “Brahms’ Lullabye” ends with the Bb/Eb (fifth and tonic of the key) suspended over an Eadd9 chord. I left the piano part unresolved to build tension for the final whispered triad in the brass.

Stan Bann - “Children of Moore”

7 Likes

I love it Stan. Beautifull harmonies. Tragic story.
As a feedback I could say that is doesn’t make me feel really sad. Maybe “hope”, “resignation” even “peace”.
The other sounds apart from brass, are completelly unnecesary.
It is a beautifull piece. Congratulations.

1 Like

Thank you, Vincente!

I’m glad the hope also came through in the music. My wish was also to let the families know they weren’t alone in their ordeal. People cared about them.

As an epilogue to this I sent the piece to the University of Oklahoma Trombone Studio as a gift along with the story of how it came to be. The director wrote me back saying they were doing a special concert a few weeks from then and there would be a contingent of families from Moore. He programmed the piece and made sure the story was told to the audience.

I received many emails and messages from the very families I was hoping to reach saying it touched them and meant a lot to be remembered. Their messages often moved me to tears.

To me this is the true power of music. To connect on a level where words can’t express.

Peace to you, Vincente!

2 Likes

Hi, Stan - wonderful piece! I’m not so sure the piano was necessary; it confused me because it came out of nowhere - I went back through the video a few times looking for places where it was and could not find it. Did I miss it? I agree with Vicente - The brass stood on its own.

Alternate suggestion as ending: eliminate the ensemble final chord and piano part, and end with a single trumpet using the line around 1:30. I say this because I think it reflects the solitary feeling one has when in a tragic circumstances. However, that may be a musical trope. Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words, Troy!

I appreciate your comments on the role of the piano. I did a version for the Minneapolis Trombone Choir that did not have the piano and I missed its statement. I might see if I still have that one floating around my office somewhere. If I do I’ll post it. There are only a few bars difference.

The concept of the piano is a music box. The children who died were mostly elementary school students. The Brahms quodlibet is a nod to their ages and that they were taken far too soon; their lives and promise cut short. The piano is by itself which, to me, echoes your “solitary feeling” thought (it was a good one!) while emphasizing that these were children that were lost.

Again, thanks for the note. I’m glad you enjoyed the piece!

Take care!

Stan

1 Like

Very moving!
No piano or chimes needed, just the beautiful and graceful brass sound.
Regards,
Adrian.

1 Like

Thanks, Adrain! I’m glad you enjoyed the brass!

I’m sensing a trend on the use of the piano … it’s all good feed back! Thanks again!

Take care! Stay well!

Stan

I must say it’s cool you got real people playing the real instrumentsto get the best sound possible and I really like the brass but yeah as others have said the piano and chimes seem unnecessary.
Regards,
Alexis

1 Like

Great brass sound and very beautiful. I love it

Thanks, Alexis! Glad you enjoyed the piece!

I’ve had the great fortune to have access to great players like these on a regular basis. To be able to hear what I’ve written at this level has been a blessing.

Take care!

Stay well!

Stan

1 Like

Thank you, Klaus! As I mentioned above this is a very personal piece for me. I’m very glad it resonated with you as well!

Take care!

Stay well!

Stan