Logic Pro X scoring workflow (file management/automation issues)

Hey guys,

So I am working on a short (about 15mins) film. I am still new at this and trying to find a good workflow to score it. I started out by just making one session on Logic with everything on it and did a lot of save as in case I needed to go back to previous version. I started working on each cues by order of importance but later encountered a problem when using a lot of tempo changes with earlier cues in the film, my volume and effects automation was not lock to the SMPTE time code and was all over the place on all the other cues. Because I did not realise this soon some cues are really hard to fix now because of the automation. So I had to rework them in previous save of the session. Now my workflow is quite messy and I am working inbetween 3 different Logic sessions of the same project, with the cues I could save.

Is there any way to save this? Can I bring some regions (with automation) of old sessions and gather them into one? I have the same tracks on each session but need some updated regions with the right automation to go in some cues into one session. I’m not very familiar with Logic’s file management so I’m not sure if that’s possible.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Romain

Hi @RomainQuessaudJSZ,

not working with Logic anymore, but nevertheless I would suggest you to compose each cue in a separate session. This will 1st, save a lot of CPU and RAM, and 2nd you won’t have the troubles you’ve mentioned. In the 2nd cue you can import your 1st cue as an audio file so you do have a reference.

Sorry, I couldn’t answer to your specific issue.

Kind regards,
Alexey (JLX)
@jlx_music

2 Likes

Record each question in a different Logic Session. Then bounce the individual tracks to a “master session”. All of your sessions will have the film in them, & will have the tempo changes. You’ll have more flexibility per track this way.

2 Likes