Logic Pro X: MIDI CC with Expression/Modulation?

Hey guys, can’t seem to figure out how to CC map the Expression and the Modulation parameters within Logic? If anyone knows that’d be very helpful!

Expression = CC11
Modulation = CC1

Open piano roll, access automation (A), then on the left side you can change which automation lane you want to modify. Velocity levels is default, so there you can choose from the list things like Modulation, Expression, Pitch-Bend etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for Mikael! And am I able to map those cc to my MIDI controller?

Yes, I have a MIDI keyboard that is able to “program” the faders on the actual MIDI keyboard. So my faders always send out like this: Fader 1 = CC1, Fader 2 = CC2 etc. :slight_smile:

I believe always using the same CC per fader is better since you will remember more easily which is which.

2 Likes

Hi Mikael, what keyboard do you have? I use AKAI keyboard and I can’t figure out how to make it “program” the faders. Is it an issue of the model or it somehow can be fixed in Logic?

Very few MIDI keyboards have on board programs for the faders sadly. I have an older Studiologic 88 Key Master Keyboard which is amazing! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I only have default Logic Pro X 10.6
Libraries

But I do have a 49 midi keyboard has mod wheel ,9 faders ,9 roto knobs and 12 pads and buttons

Mike what virtual instruments in default Logic I can use to experiment with all 3

All 3 Midi CC ?

Expression = CC11
Modulation = CC1
Volume = CC7

Most orchestral libraries you can use all those CC-expression automation on. I don’t personally use Logic’s stock orchestral instruments, but I guess you could try Studio Strings in Logic.

1 Like

Thanks if I have any questions on this or how to midi in Logic

I post them here :smiley:

Mike, I know the Mod Wheel is for Modulation
but experimenting with adding layers to just the Mod Wheel that will build over time
How can I assign the Mod Wheel to volume?

All CC-values, including the MOD-wheel is simply just a value. The software instrument or sample library can have any parameter assigned to these CC-values. In most cases, they have the dynamic level assigned as default the CC1, which is the MOD-wheel. Some instruments you can assign several parameters to “listen” to the same CC. Like volume. But remember dynamic level is already about volume + tone.

1 Like

Ok Mike I map and added volume 0-127 to mod wheel
So when I pull the mod wheel toward me no sound at value 0

And when push mod wheel away form me full sound at Value 127
This happen gradually 0-127 in value

Now How would You map velocity to mod wheel?

There is no way to map velocity to any fader, as it’s not based on CC values. It will always be mapped to how hard you press every key.

Ok I understand
Mike how do I find what Logic Pro X default instruments have any of the ability to do either or both of the following?

Expression = CC11

Modulation = CC1

Dynamics =

I don’t honestly use any of the stock instruments in Logic for years since I have so many professional sample libraries. But I think the Studio Strings and Studio Horns can be mapped so they respond to CC1 (your MOD-wheel) for dynamics.

1 Like

If I wanted to try a new library that would give me some articulatiion implemented

What sample library would be a free option and on budget option
to get more articulatiion then Logic ?

This one is cheap, and a good starting point:

PS. I do not own it myself though, but it looks good on specifications.

Look great
But The requires full version Kontakts

Mike here a question let say You have a software instrument that does not have any articulations and expressions by default

How would You go about create Your own for that instrument?

Well almost all of them at least support CC11. This says “Expression” in the MIDI standard, but it’s nearly always simply a volume controller.

But honestly, I am this year focusing more and more on expressive capabilities, so I rather not use any software instruments that can not be “performed”. I even look at buying and learning more real instruments as well as the ROLI Seaboard to get ultimate expressive options. :slight_smile:

1 Like