Let's Discuss Field Recording - Questions/Tips/Experience?

Here’s another one for you - 1st sound is pretty much at the correct pitch.
www.awpmusic.co.uk/dfx.mp3

It’s a door slam - then the rythym is made from transposing about 3 octaves - plus a delay and some reverb.

1 Like

Hi thanks for adding me on to this topic and pleased that somehow I managed to inspire you to talk about more about field recording.

Now, I am no expert in the field and I capture a lot of stuff as I walk along places. Sometimes I leave my recorder somewhere hidden next to a tree and collect it after half hour.

I use a pretty simple recorder but does the job really well. It has inbuilt EQ in order to remove unwanted rumble in the low end and also you able to chose various mic positions (just L or R, Stereo or Mono) and adjusting the angle of capture. I also use a windshield to stop the wind ruining your recordings when blowing directly to the recorder.

https://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/tascam_dr-05.htm

There is a lot of useful sources of information how to start recording, tips and ideas. Here’s a link as an example:

Also there’s an intro video course by the great guys at ‘A Sound Effect’. For those who don’t know this website is one of the biggest resources of sound design and sound recording out there. From discussions about sound for film to access tones of sound libraries of any category:

A great source of inspiration came from this guy - Robert Dudzic. He is behind the sound of countless Hollywood films and watching the way he records sounds indoors and outdoors, and the way he manipulates them to create all sorts of textures, really made me want to record my own. His videos are mind blowing!

Hope some of this links are helpful and I’m happy to discuss other things in more detail if anyone is interested. Enjoy!

1 Like

Great links Joel! :slight_smile:
I have realized that I am personally mainly interested in field recordings of shorter sounds (not really ambience). Any tips on how to get as high quality (and isolated) audio quality for recording let’s say myself stomping my foot in the forest let’s say?

Sounds good! I guess you can replicate it my using foley techniques in a more controlled environment. Either way here’s some useful tips:

Place your microphone close enough to capture detail but not too close that you pick up too much bass or isolate one particular area. If you are to walk with the microphone in your hand it will pick up unwanted rumble of clothing and arms moving. So best option would be to mount your microphone on a mic stand and placed it in the area you are walking.
If using foley put some foam under your foley pit to dampen any noise and test your footsteps and adjust your levels so your recording hits at around -6dB.
Before you hit record, make sure you say into the mic details of your recording, including footwear, surface, and project name.
Later on, when transferring the sound files to your DAW, de-noising certain areas and some surgical EQ could then do the job for a more accurate and clean sound.

2 Likes

Great advice Joel, and when you transfer audio files to your computer…do you have any tips on file naming conventions, folder structures etc?

1 Like

Im not sure if I do. Sometimes I process some sounds and if I like them I label them accordingly. When I record sounds outdoors I tend to listen to them and only keep the ones that capture something good. I label them with place and date and that’s pretty much it.

1 Like