Join the Music Contest - Jurassic Park (June 2020)

WATCH VIDEO - Contest Introduction

How to Join the Contest

1st Prize Winner

2nd Prize Winner

Contest Rules & Guidelines

• Write a New Track for the Contest (no old tracks allowed)
  • The Emotion & Spirit of the Original Soundtrack must be respected
  • Feel free to still add Your own Style/Sound/Character to your cover version
  • The winner will be decided by a Poll afterwards (Contest ends June 30)

PS. A huge thanks to the sponsors of this music contest:

Sincerely,
Mikael ā€œMikeā€ Baggstrƶm
Founder of this Community

10 Likes

The A theme only, or can it be the B theme, or must it be both?

1 Like

I think it should be up to the composer (you), as it still a cover, not a re-score. :slight_smile:

Iā€™d probably suggest you do a mix. As welcome to Jurassic park is basically just the end credits and the start of the film. You have so many interesting themes in this film.

The island theme for instance is based off the locrian scale which is awesome. Uses a Dim 5 arp as the main theme on trumpet. Soooo cool.

3 Likes

True, but itā€™s still ā€œThe Main Themeā€ that is the cover contest :wink:
I added a link to listen to YouTube, to the theme.

Edit: Oh, you meant adding other themes from the film into the cover? Sure, go ahead, as long as the main theme is still there as well.

2 Likes

That clears it up. So you want the welcome to the island theme :slight_smile: the way youā€™ve sold it leaves it open a bit so thanks for the clarification.

The link, though it says main theme is actually just a link to the end credits orchestration, which was the released orchestral mock-up of all themes. The main theme is the first theme you hear in the track(first herd when the brachiosaurus comes into shot in the film), followed by theme B which is a variation of theme A. Later on we head the iconic fanfare which is theā€welcome to Jurassic park themeā€ (first herd on the helicopter ride).

Later thereā€™s some aleatoric themes that are in relation to the raptors.

So Iā€™d guess that youā€™d want both Part Aand B themes which is basically the first minute and a half of that piece being thr centerline. Unless u actually want to use the track above as the bedding for the whole composition :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am probably thinking way wrong, but I always thought of ā€œMain Themeā€ as the entire cue. Meaning one whole track on the soundtrack, not a ā€œmelodic themeā€. :stuck_out_tongue:

I still want to leave it up to the composer, just using this ā€œentire trackā€ as the seed for however you want to interpret the sound, emotion and spirit of Jurassic Park.

2 Likes

Ok gotcha :stuck_out_tongue: yeah I think a lot of people think of this whole track a one theme. The whole track is actually a medley, but to me that makes it even better as itā€™s basically a free for all :wink:

2 Likes

Indeed! Itā€™s a smƶrgĆ„sbord as we say in Sweden! :wink:

3 Likes

Haha we say that in the uk too :wink:

3 Likes

Curse my brain, Iā€™m still a bit confused. So, the opening part with the strings is the A theme and later the brass fanfare is the B theme, but you just consider the whole piece the Main Theme, and any of it can be used, however I like, keeping with the overall spirit?

1 Like

Anything goes, as long as the spirit and emotion is still there. I will update the rules to remove ā€˜main themeā€™ as it is indeed confusing. So again: the ā€˜spirit and emotionā€™ must be respected. Other than that, use your creative freedom. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah cool! Yeah, I had an idea incorporating the so-called B theme, the brass fanfare, but I know most people remember the A theme as the main theme. Not 100% sure Iā€™ll be able to participate as I have quite a few other projects needing my attention, but Iā€™m going to give it a go and see where it ends up.

1 Like

Yes, the whole point is to respect the ā€œJohn Williamsā€ spirit and the emotion of the soundtrack from Jurassic Park. I can promise you that doing covers and breaking down themes like this is one of the most wonderful ways of learning and improving as a composer. Way more than making your own compositions in fact! :smiley:

1 Like

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m here for! My newest piece isnā€™t going quite the way i want; it gets to a certain point and then sounds waaayyy 19th century.:sweat_smile:Here to learn and and see what others think, so learning to write a la John Williams is a good experience.

1 Like

Also, you may have noticed there is no rule on length. I am not expecting anyone to do a 7 minute cue! :stuck_out_tongue:

1:30 or so would be good enough in my book. As long as it sounds complete = Ends with true cadence.

3 Likes

The whole thing is a medley. Nearly every theme is included in this piece (Apart for the connecting cues). So thereā€™s like 10 themes in this piece. For some reason people upload it with the tag of ā€œmain themeā€ which has confused a lot of people. If you listen to it youā€™ll hear when the theme changes as the mood changes too.

2 Likes