✅ Join the Majestic Music Contest

Join the Composer Contest on “Majestic Music” (ends Nov 1)

How to Join the Contest

Prizes

How to write “Majestic Music”?
Well that is up to you as a composer to choose with your creative freedom, however you can use these keywords as guidelines:

• Grand & Noble
  • Respect & Authority
  • Deep & Profound

PS. A big aspect of these composer challenges is to encourage comments and feedback. The winner will be decided by a poll afterwards. Good luck, and have fun composing music! :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Mikael “Mike” Baggström
Founder of this Community

7 Likes

:weary: Having a bit of a dry spell…No old tracks, but what about an old track that’s not complete or released?

Well to be honest the purpose of these challenges is to give you the motivation to move past any dry spells :wink:

1 Like

:ok_hand: Roger that! It’s actually, I have too many things I’m trying to write at the same time and now it’s all a jumble and don’t know where to start first :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My mind is all about big band jazz right now (just grabbed the SampleModeling brass, and getting some professional voice coaching), and work situation and general focus issues haven’t been helping. But, I’ll try to get started on this ASAP. Feels like big classical orchestra, but I’m not sure yet…

3 Likes

Professional voice coaching? Like singing?

1 Like

I’m with you David. I’m torn between something grand and traditional and something big but with some sound design elements to get and broader, modern sound. It’s because I’m currently also trying to do a tribute to the Golden Age of Hollywood composers with a big “main theme” piece.

1 Like

If it’s any inspiration for you, one specific piece I think of when I hear to word “majestic” is Also Sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30 - Strauss

5 Likes

That’s a good example, thanks Mike! I was originally thinking along the lines of the Star Trek DS9 theme. Gonna get started now!

3 Likes

Oh yes, Star Trek is also a good source of inspiration for “majestic” :wink:

2 Likes

Indeed! I joined Freya Casey’s “1 Month of Opera” thing in March, and have been in the masterclass since. I’ve been focusing mostly on opera, as that’s about the most solid foundation you can get, but I’ll be expanding into other genres as well.

2 Likes

Ah cool! :slight_smile:
Did you know I actually do sing as well? I used to at least, with my old “band”. Not classic though. I had a lot of fun experimenting with different types of “voice types” and effects. From power metal to EDM autotune, to ballad like soft voice.

3 Likes

Awesome! Very versatile instrument indeed, and I figured one might as well learn to “play” it properly, since one is carrying it around at all times anyway. :wink: Also helps with breath controllers, and expressive playing in general, I think.

1 Like

Very? Most versatile instrument I would argue. :wink:
Which also means it is the trickiest to learn, perform, record, and god forbid “mix vocals” lol (due to how much time that takes)

1 Like

Well, I’d say the synth/computer/whatever is the most versatile “instrument” of all in technical terms - BUT, it’s (still) severely limited by the user interface…! :slight_smile:

But yeah, the more expressive an instrument is, the more difficult it is to actually get it to do what you want. I’m afraid that’s the universal truth here, and unfortunately, it seems to cover virtual/modeled instruments as well. Of course, you have the advantage of being able to insert arbitrary amounts of signal processing and logic in between the player and the virtual instrument, and it might be easier to adjust controller curves for a good player experience, than it is to adjust the setup of a cello, for example - but I’m not even sure about that at this point… :smiley:

1 Like

Hi,
I’m a new member of this forum, could I participate to the contest?

Thank’s :smile:

1 Like

Welcome Roberto! :slight_smile:
Yes of course, everyone can join. The purpose of these monthly “contests” is more to be like challenges so that everyone can learn and improve from actually creating music for a specific style and theme! :smiley:

1 Like

I’d like to hear it! :slight_smile: I’m interested in that Golden Age style style as well.

2 Likes

I’m going to give this one a try. A majestic theme sounds like a fun challenge. I just missed the Ennio Morricone contest. Ironically, I’m working on a piece that is like a remake done in the style of Ennio Morricone. But it’s not original and I was too late for that one anyway.

1 Like