✅ Join the Dark Cinematic Music Contest (Nov 2019)

Please do it Mia, I would love to hear what you can come up with…ambient darkness or action darkness…or any type of tension you want to focus on! :slight_smile:

Video games can be super addictive…I actually set myself only one evening per week when I play with a friend “Game Night” we call it. But since WOW is subscription I guess that does not make sense for you.

1 Like

Yes, I will see if I can come up with something. I just finished two rather cheerful tracks, so I am actually eager to do something dark. And I might get to it even over my shameless addiction :slight_smile: it is subscription, but I have done the same as you and allowed myself only a few days a week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you want inspiration…watch the new Diablo 4 cinematic trailer…SUUUUUPER DARK! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Cool tracks, Mike. “Escape The Silence” has a great vibe to it, especially in the beginning. Very reminiscent of some of the dark underscore in the better Marvel movie tracks. Some nice little sound design elements over those chords in the beginning; really adds to the atmosphere and a lot of composers miss those touches.

Love the Elfman-esque touches in “Dark Parade” - not just the march portion, but the whole set-up to that section, and you made it your own.

Good stuff!

2 Likes

Yes! Killer scoring in that trailer.

I wonder if Neal Acree will be handling the duties on this or if they’ll look outside to one of the bigger name Hollywood guys, given the scope and scale of this game. In my opinion, Neal has earned this gig.

2 Likes

Not sure who will be the lead composer, but I will definitely listen to the OST when it is available…the cool thing about darker themed scores is that there is so much room for sound design, atmospheres and twisted FX. :smiley:

PS. Are you joining this music challenge this month @Will?

2 Likes

Hi Mike,

Yes, I’ll try and post something this week.

2 Likes

Great, looking forward to eat! :slight_smile:
Wait…Freudian slip there lol!

2 Likes

yes diablo IV cinematic trailer is awsome, the music is very dark and match perfectly with this kind of game

2 Likes

I also grew up with this series “Diablo”, and always loved the dark and gritty atmosphere in it. Btw, Blizzard is getting so damn good with 3D, they should start making animated movies! :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking forward to hear what you come up with Mirza! :slight_smile:

I assume that submissions will be accepted all the way to the end of November? I was involved in some other projects over the past weeks and I’m planning to start this one tonight.

3 Likes

Yepp, all through November. Will have a live stream with the finalists in early December, where we all can listen, give feedback, and vote on our favorites! :slight_smile:

Bring it on Mirza, unleash the darkness! :wink:

2 Likes

Yepp, all through November. Will have a live stream with the finalists in early December, where we all can listen, give feedback, and vote on our favorites! :slight_smile:

I love that idea!

Bring it on Mirza, unleash the darkness! :wink:

Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey!

2 Likes

i’m hoping to submit for december’s contest- i’m very new to the composers community, and i currently do not having enough hearts to be able to submit music for this months contest- do you have any suggestions, in general, for other film scoring contest that are available?

thanks,
tony

4 Likes

Hmm…well don’t think of it as a contest, but rather as a “challenge”, and perhaps that might encourage you to compose a piece in some style of “Dark Cinematic Music”?

Learning by doing, by experimenting, and ultimately by “failing forward” is the best way to evolve in any skill or craft in my humble opinion. :slight_smile:

Sincerely
Mike

3 Likes

yes, a challenge- and good suggestions-
thank you!
t

2 Likes

Learning by doing, by experimenting, and ultimately by “failing forward” is the best way to evolve in any skill or craft in my humble opinion.

Words of wisdom. Completely agree!

2 Likes

Can we submit a dark orchestral trailer track or does it have to be more traditional, film score stye dark cinematic?

2 Likes

Oh yeah for sure, go ahead Ben, bring the darkness! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Having trouble finding the due date for this. Is there a specific day/ time?

1 Like