✅ Join the Beautiful Music Contest (Jan/Feb 2020)

Join the Composer Contest in Jan/Feb 2020: “Beautiful Music”.
You can win prizes, level up your skills, and have fun making music! :slight_smile:

What is “Beautiful Music”? Well that is up to you as a composer to choose with your creative freedom, however you can use these keywords as guidelines:

• Emotional
  • Romantic
  • Nostalgic
  • Beautiful
  • Love

How to Join the Contest

• Compose 1 NEW track (no old tracks are allowed)
  • Submit your track as a New Topic here
  • The winner will be decided by a Poll afterwards (Contest ends March 1)

Prizes for the Winner:

2020-Jan%20(Beautiful%20Music)

PS. You must active in the community to be able to win, meaning if you just "spam your track and then do not interact in the community, you will be disqualified.

9 Likes

Here are 2 examples of “Beautiful Music” I made, that I hope can inspire you for the contest! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Oooh, ooh, ooh! At the end of, “Gentle Wind of Hearts”, was that a Piccardy 3rd? I learned about that a couple of months ago. I heard it now and then, and it’s such a wonderful way to end some pieces.

3 Likes

Thanks John, it is one of my favorite endings too, gives that spark of hope and almost sounds magical :wink:

3 Likes

Am I right in thinking Picardy third is where you go from minor to major tonic chord cadence - vaguely remember it from my music o level exam 30 years ago. Am I right in thinking it’s used on early renaissance music? I so need to brush on Theory.

1 Like

minor to major tonic chord cadence yes, I’m not sure how much it was used in classical music but I do love the vibe it creates! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cool! I’ll have to enter this one for sure.

1 Like

Great, I’m looking forward to hear what you come up with Joseph! :slight_smile:

yeah
another great contest with beautifull music
it is time to find great melody and great harmony

1 Like

Yes indeed, probably some nice lyrical/romantic voice leading will create that beautiful sound. :wink:

you’re right times to try shevanai, ethera, voice of passion and some other great vocal library

1 Like

I think some counter point harmonic voice leading will do the trick as well :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @Mikael just want to know can a composer submit more than one track for the every contest ? ^^

Hmm, did not think of that, but I believe it would be best with 1 entry each.

1 Like

It was used a lot Mikael.
Though the true use of the Picardy third was to take a major tonic and raise the minor third of the next chord (often in root position) so that it resolves to a major triad. Think is a French concept but you hear it in Vivaldi’s work, Saint seans work and Berlioz:)

So if you had a C Major triad, you may choose to play D Major as your next chord for instance as the F natural would be used as a passing note and moving to F# would resolve the cadence to the use of a 5/5 setting you up for a perfect cadence in G Major…while also giving chromatic interest between E and F#.

In the same way you can change from C Major to A Major which resolves as the C moves to C# and the G moves a tone to A. In this case the C would be in second position so that the A would be in root. In this case the E is sustained also, making a smoother transition.

2 Likes

Looking forward to taking part in this one! Thanks for creating this opportunity Mikael :blush:

1 Like

Great Joel, we already have one entry so far, and I’m eager to see what everyone creates! :smiley:

Nice one! Is the 1st of March the deadline?

1 Like

Yes Jan/Feb so deadline is 1st of March, we used to have single month challenges, but this time it was kind of a late start due to the holidays so I figured all through February is better. :slight_smile:

1 Like