I need Your Help - For Future YouTube Videos

Indeed! =)
Oh another point I realized from both the comments and analysing “successful music youtubers”, is that many video titles that gets HUGE views are very veeeery focused on a fundamental psychological trigger…which is drum roll: Curiosity

I really feel the video titles, and I how you craft them (plus the thumbnail in combination) is a huge key factor for getting lots of views on videos for YouTube.

1 Like

Well Mike, i’m not an expert but I can share my vision if it helps. Two points.

Maybe, you are editing your youtube channel content as your video courses. I mean, when I follow an online course I love the order, the estructure, the clarity, the homogeneous visual appereance. That’s cool. But, in youtube I prefer a more passionate performance, not so formal and ordered. As you said, titles and thumnails must be attractive, but also the content must be presented in a more emotional, dynamic, organic and aparently improvised way. Natural and infectiously motivational. And I am almost a middle aged man, imagine younger people.

Another thing. I always heard that is fact that is very useful to remember the audience to subcribe if they liked the content, at the end of the video. And you don’t di it, usually. An occasional viewer would have notifications in the future that could bring him back, instead of forget your good channel in the sea of overinformation.

4 Likes

Vicente, you may not be a YouTube expert but I think you nailed it! :smiley:
It’s exactly what I feel I am missing when I compare to the biggest music youtubers. Personal connection, energy, passion, human engagement. Not only focusing on how-to, tips and steps (great in courses as you say). Thank you for confirming this important point! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Definitely! You have to ride the successful names; associate them with your content. I need to go back and read my Winifred Phillips book. She spends a lot of time taking about the psychology of writing game music and such, or how different people psychologically react to different music for different games. I can’t remember if there was anything that would be related to titling or something.

1 Like

Haha, no. Not because of dopamine, it’s a side-effect that we all human beings like. To be honest, when I release a video, a song, blog article or just share something with other people … I just feel good and happy. That’s the reason.

There are a lot of things connected to why someone is starting a channel. Sure, business might be one part of it, but it’s not all about business. I remember when I started to learn music production, I had no mentor. That’s the primarily reason why I’ve started the channel. I had so many questions, and it was very hard to get an answer that helped, because everyone has a different situation and case.

I plan more things where I can communicate and discuss more things about MP, and that should be fun. If you have some ideas what I could talk about, let me know. Interaction is key. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Mikael. Temme, we chatted a bit on your Youtube channel. Thanks for your invite to join this forum. Just letting you know I’m here - my nickname is “doctoremmet” (my name spelled backwards AND a movie reference haha). People from VI Control may know me under that monicker. Cheers and I look forward to make contributions where I can.

2 Likes

you’re doing something right look at the all the followers you have right here, this forum could turn into something else bigger just don’t charge us little folks here, your old fans :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi Mike. I think it was a very good idea of you to make a video exactly as you did asking your followers for advice since they are the ones watching.
I think you have a great personality and voice for Youtube videos and online courses.

Here is what I did if it can be of any help. I looked into my Youtube watching history to see what I as a regular person are looking at in music terms on Youtube. It´s not statistically right but a general direction. Maybe it can be of some help if you wanna think statistically for views:

1. Listening to music videos for inspiration. Often popular film composers.
  2. Tutorials on different techniques composition wise like mixing, mastering, orchestration, sound design etc.
  3. Livestreams and videos with Youtubers like Dirk Ehlert, Daniel James, @ChrisSiuMusic, @Geoffers, @jlx_music.
  4. Composers who interviews other musicians to learn from there fields. Like Composer roundtable with Dirk Ehlert.
  5. Reviews on vst plugins and music gear.

Two things I haven´t seen you do that I think you would do great is:

1. Live streams where people can interact in real time.
  2. Interviews with other composers like @ChrisSiuMusic, @Geoffers or @jlx_music mentioned above.

Oh and right. Give it time, you will get a lot of followers. Good luck.

5 Likes

Ah thank you for your kind words man. Really appreciate you watching my videos, especially as I’m still experimenting with things. Without everyone’s support (especially in this forum) I doubt I would have made it this far.

I’m hopefully uploading the next in the new series this weekend. I’ve been very busy in work for the past few weeks and I’ve had to focus some to lime in making a website on Wix (which in the past I’ve not liked but I think it’s got a lot better).

Great advice given on here so far too! I’m sure Mikael is getting so pumped at the amount of support he’s getting!

2 Likes

Hi Mike , when you see big companies are into subscriptions for use of their software, sound expansions samples etc … Then wouldn’t it be a good idea to make your video’s available for subscribers who pay a yearly amount to acces your vids. It would be like subscribing to a magazine but in this case your very good vids. Just a thought … excuse me for any broken English but you get the idea :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement, and I’m glad you decided to join us here. We’re not as big as VI Control. But I promise you as the admin/founder of this forum that you will never find a more friendly community online! :smiley:

1 Like

Hello Godfriend,
Ah yes good point. I have considered Patreon for this, but I’m not sure enough people would support me to make it still worth it. But YouTube is so hard. You can spend literally 1000s and 1000s of working hours like I have. And I earn less than 1/10th of minimum wage after 9 years hard work. That is why I made this video. I need to find a change to make every video worthwhile.

1 Like

Thanks you Fredrik,
I love how insightful and detailed suggestions and analysis you give here (and a lot more on the comments on the video). I am so thankful for it, and could not believe such an amazing response would come from this video! :smiley:

I think live streams is something I need to try definitely. I have a plan to invest in some gear after new year for live streaming. Hardware, because I tried software streaming and there were always problems + it took an extra screen.

Right now I have my Sherlock Holmes hat on doing investigation on the top music youtubers, to see what videos work (get +10K views on every video), and what video formats work best.

Music theory and knowledge is the one topic that I feel has the broadest reach, since that can be used for any style of music.

I have realized that as much as I personally love cinematic music, orchestral music, soundtracks etc…the average music audience is probably less than 1% who are into this music. EDM, Hiphop, RnB, Pop and Rock in all flavors probably is like 99% of all listens. And since I don’t want to do those styles of music, I need to find other ways to relate to those people. Music theory and knowledge is one way I believe could do that.

1 Like

Haha, yeah I love this forum. It literally even costs me money to run. Not counting all hours I am here. But trust me, it will always be free. I might add some kind of “private membership section” or something in the future like a group class or something, but not right now. :slight_smile:

Haha pumped is not the word. Completely utterly astonished is what I am feeling! I could not in my wildest dreams see this amount of overwhelming support with long detailed comments with ideas, suggestions etc. Both there and in the YouTube video itself. :smiley:

1 Like

Awe I’m sure your rating to go with all these ideas though :smiley:

1 Like

One thing I realised, I need to use the “Poll” option more on my channel. I guess you can’t access that yet, since you need to get over a certain sub count?

1 Like

Yeah I don’t have access but my sub count is slowly growing. I’m not expecting to reach if this year unless I get a lot of subs from a video or series.

1 Like

Oh forgot one thing. It’s more of a question really. I saw that you get many viewers on videos about Logic. Have you considered making videos with another daw too? Like Studio one or Cubase for example to attract PC users? Dirk Ehlert for example have videos in both Cubase as well as Studio one.

Wow, never thought that someone might be interested in interviewing me :smiley:

I start to become a little bit “red”, if you know what I mean :smiley:

Very kind of you! :slight_smile: Thank you so much!

2 Likes