How to present work when pitching

I think it would be a really handy subject for people to talk about their experiences, on how to pitch for different things.

For example Im hoping to pitch to trailer music labels soon , but whats the best way to pitch my music? Soundcloud link? playlist somewhere?

Equally if you’re pitching for film etc, videos on youtube that are scored?

Would be good to have a general idea how to go about it for different things, from people who have experience in that area ideally.

You can use SoundCloud to create your own “private” playlist of your best trailer cues for trailer labels and send them the links to listen to your trailer cues then. For sending stems of a trailer cue to a trailer label I use Dropbox.

1 Like

Hi @BenBeard,

best way is to have a link for Soundcloud, which is by far the best way to present your music for libraries. The only problem is, you need luck and a lot of it as well. That’s what my experience is with music libraries so far. The guys are getting 1000s of emails a day, with music and whatever…and they just physically can’t answer you, because the % that they will hear your track is really low. The only way to go is re-sending the stuff, and say that you send an email a couple of weeks ago. The next thing is, the good and exclusive once are only looking for tracks, which are dead perfect. The highest standard of music production possible. I don’t know, how far you are with your productions (maybe you can link your Soundcloud here?), but the only way to go is just keep working on stuff, reference all the time and push yourself to the limits, work more, learn, fail, try again, quit for 2 weeks, stand up and start from scratch. Composing for trailers is the ultimate challenge, the standards are much higher than somewhere else. So getting into this field is like trying to climb the Everest for the first time. It’s extremely hard to get there, but you have to try, try and try again. It’s always a matter of time, when someone gets back and want to have your tracks presented by “them”. :slight_smile: Don’t give up and keep sending your stuff out.

Good luck and best regards,
Alexey

1 Like

Thanks good advise :slight_smile: i figured it was probably something along those lines. Haven’t sent out yet as I want to perfect my production part of it better first, no point rushing and not putting my best foot forward :slight_smile:

Im lucky I’m in a position to do this alongside my main work

1 Like

Take your time and try to perfect the track as good as you can. Compose a new one, and this one will be even better. It will take time to understand all the process, but as long as you move on, you will see big results! :slight_smile:

Take care,
Alexey

For trailers and most other libraries I’d recommend creating a SoundCloud playlist with around 3 of your best tracks that will be suitable for that library. Usually if they don’t like the first track they won’t even listen to the rest so try to impress quickly.

Most trailer libraries (especially the boutique ones) have a certain style, try to present something relevant to their catalogue, if it is different then try to explain why.

If the tracks are unreleased then make the playlist private. The vast majority of trailer libraries license exclusively and some prefer for the material not to be made publicly available.

Try and make your submission as tailored as possible, research who you are sending to and explain why you might be a good fit for them. The good libraries are looking to invest in composers long term.

Remember that they get sent tracks non stop so try and stand out with you music. Also don’t feel too bad if they don’t reply. If you have no luck anywhere then try getting some feedback from others with experience, if both them and you can listen to your work and say it’s up to par with what the library is currently offering then go for it. Good luck!

2 Likes

The best bit of advice I give out (especially applies to trailer companies) is to really get the structure and instrumentation down. Yes they want your production to be good but most inclusive libraries will work with you on your production for as long as you need (could be a year or two in this area).

Keep churning out the goods and do all the amendments they ask of you until you feel you’ve given that track all you’ve got. Then move on to the next piece and re pitch. In this instance quantity really does trump quality in the beginning. You’ll get more proficient with each piece and that’s when the try and try again comes in. Just keep going until you’ve got it down to a formula. The whole reason these libraries have music coordinators is to give you quality feedback :slight_smile:

You’ll find doing this that your pieces will skyrocket in production quality too.