How to make More Music? (Share your Tips)

Productivity was something I had been struggling with for a couple of years, where I’d start a new track and rush it, tried to make it “finished” in a matter of day or two. This lead to a lot of disappointment because I had the craving of finishing a piece of music but then of course, rushing it would make the quality of the track suffer.

This mindset cost me a lot of time, but then I realized I’m approaching music making from the wrong angle. A few months ago, I read an article where this writer (can’t remember his name unfortunately) was mentioning the same thing. He had an urge to finish his new book quickly but no matter how fast and hard he tried to write, he’d get stuck, losing all inspiration and having to force himself to start again. All his ideas seemed like they were leading to nowhere. And that’s how exactly I felt at the time.

But then, he revealed his “secret” of success - he decided to ignore the end goal completely. He basically gave up on his dream of finishing that book, he gave up on all goals and decided to just try and enjoy the process of writing for once. He also set himself a challenge, without any endgame to it: Write something (anything) every day for a year. It sounds crazy. But he did it. He would write a few phrases, or a short poem, or a news article, basically any kind of text, every day for a year. At the end of that period, he had a year worth of material behind him, experience and a huge pool of ideas to work from. After that, writing new books felt like a breeze. And he was able to finish that book rather quickly with so much experience under the belt.

So, after reading that article, I decided to take the same approach and just give up on my long term goals when it comes to music. I wanted to start having fun again, and not worry about deadlines, projects etc. I just started to write something, regardless of the genre. I did commit for a full year but I don’t want it to feel forced either. So I just said, I am planning to do this “indefinitely”. If I am not able to sit in front of my PC and compose something, I will make sure I at least read about other people’s composition process or participate in discussions like these, where I will keep my productivity in check.

I don’t have to mention that 95% of those mini tracks will never be released or published anywhere, but they are serving as a temple, where I go to have my personal time with music and where I completely enjoy every minute of it.

There are still challenges, some days I feel like I want to just chill and forget about music, but the inner drive that I have already built throughout the past few months keeps pushing me to actually work on music again. And it feels awesome! Before, I had to force my brain to feel inspired, now my brain is forcing me to get up and switch my DAW on. :slight_smile: It’s a unique feeling and a mutual relationship between inspiration and productivity that I recommend everyone to try.

Projects will come and go but focus on enjoying your work is something that is the essence of being a composer.

I am not sure if this wall of text I just wrote makes any sense (I might take up a book writing challenge myself now lol) but I sincerely hope it will provide some helpful insight for anyone who’s stuck with productivity.

Remember: Small steps lead to large steps, large steps lead to running, running leads to getting somewhere faster. But it is a marathon, not a sprint :wink:

1 Like

I would 100% say quantity over quality is what is needed… however I wouldn’t say quality as that has negative connotations. Instead I’d suggest quantity over perfection.

At some point in any project we need to learn when enough is enough… preferably before that composition sucks your time away. This needs to be done in a way that still means we finish that piece compositionally. As we grow in our experience, we become more proficient and efficient in our mixing. So that aspect should always take a back seat to our composition standard, which is hard because usually it’s that aspect most people have an opinion on.

So I’m short, productivity and focussing on finishing the composition first is key to doing more.

Obviously we have other factors that speed up the process, such as more efficient plugins, higher quality vsts that sound better out of the box. All these things contribute to our efficiency. There’s lots we can say about this but a good closing example would be the pirates of the carribean score by Zimmer. He used a theme from Gladiator and adapted it. The time frame was limited and they orchestrated it within 3 days. Madness really, but that shows that zimmer and his team were able to distinguish what was important in the scoring of that first film.

2 Likes