How do you create track stems in Logic Pro X?

What is the best, most efficient (fast) way to bounce stems in Logic Pro X?

By stems I mean the individual groups (track stacks): Percussion, Bass, Strings, Brass etc.

Is there a way to create all of the stems automatically (that includes the send effects baked in) without having to solo the groups?

Sincerely,
Mike

Hey!
So I think these way to bounce track stacks into stems is to highlight all of your audio regions and right click on the parts you’ve highlighted and press join. Make sure they are all already audio first and all of those should bounce down, then just keep the track stack folder with your plugins already on and continue with your project. This is the easiest way I’ve found to do this.

Alternatively you could export everything as an audio file and create a new project with all of. Your stems being audio. I sometimes do this for huuuuge projects.

Alternatively you could just ctrl- cmnd - B to bounce individually

1 Like

Hello guys! It’s Venn,

To me, the best option to export stems is to use Region Solo method. This way you could still print in Sends and it really works for me, cause I keep my projects visually clean and it’s so easy to rubber band select all the regions of, lets say, drums.

Other option I’ve seen some people do is they Send out a Post-fader signal to an Aux, which Aux is the Input of an audio track. And you do this for all your Aux groups (assuming stems). The downside is that you have to do it “online” since you are actually recording to those audio tracks. Got this method from Christian Henson.

Other a bit sketchy method is to route all the outputs of the stem auxes to Ouput1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc. and then have them recorded with third party software like Rogue Amoeba’s Audio Hijack.

A little hint - Ctrl+S bouncing with Cycle Range is by far the fastest way to bounce for me. I bet Region Soloing detaches all non-soloed regions from the buffer and it’s blazing fast.

2 Likes