Has anyone tried That Pitch website for licencing leads

Hey

was just wondering if anyone has tried https://www.thatpitch.com/ For finding and getting leads for music liciencing. Its sub based so not sure whether to try it.

1 Like

Hi @pj1240,

I just read through the site. Well, I am not sure it’s worth it, at least I am sceptical. Here is the reason. First, look how many opportunities they really have max. a month. They say 10-20. How many people will send out their tracks, not only from their site? Even if you have 20 people…in reality there will be 10000, you need to compete against ALL of them, especially production-wise, it’s like playing lotto. That’s what they actually write, if you read at the bottom of the site. It’s a lot of luck involved. Another thing like “waiting for your genre…”…you can wait for years, and then you feel like you need to make it now, because you paid already hundreds of bucks to send out tracks…Do you know XrayDog? The same concept, but MUCH more money, as you pay for every pitch at least 10$. You need to ask yourself, do you want to invest into your music, or into to a site, which absolutely can’t guarantee you any success. Do you see how many people on the site had success through them? I see like 3 people, and I can’t be sure at all. How do you know it? You can’t. You don’t have any video from them, no contact, no money-transfer etc. They write actually in a cool style and seem to be funky in terms of “we are real and we don’t lie”…Songtradr, the same…you pay to get “a chance”…you start to research “real” people who actually had success…you can’t find somebody who really did. In my opinion this “monthly-fee” sites only live because of a huge amount of people, who just pay, because 15$ don’t feel much in a month…but if you know that 100.000 guys as you are trying to get the same one gig, you know how much they earn. And even if it’s not a “lie”, you just need A LOT of luck to get a placement at this category.

I suggest you to find people, real people (real music supervisors), who work in this business and give them your music for feedback. If they like it, they will definitely put it somewhere and you will get much more out of it as you subscribe to these sites, which never give “real believable” success-stories price. Try to see it like a game of poker. You need to invest into this game, but need to make “logical” decisions. Step by step. If you go all in…you can win, but in most scenarios you lose everything you had. I mean, if you 100% sure, if you invest 10$ and will get 11$ or more out of it…it’s a good investment…but going ALL IN with cards, you never saw, (no information), is definitely not a good investment. :slight_smile:

What I see with ALL the subscription sites right now, you pay/serve not YOUR music, you pay/serve the site itself. Spotify, AppleMusic all that crap, which pays you 0,0002$ for a stream, but million people are paying these sites and they earn billions. I find, the only investment which you should make for your music is to invest in knowledge, gear and promotion. But definitely not supporting these kind of subscription sites, where you never get your musics and times value!

Kind regards,
Alexey (JLX)
@jlx_music

2 Likes

Alexey - thanks :pray: for the detailed reply - some good advice there. I’ve never been sure about sub based sites for leads either.

Its not a business model I’m particularly fond of but at least this ones seems easy to try out. If you try it for 3 months at $45 and get nothing from it then you’re only down $45. If you land anything you’ll easily make a profit.

Whether it works for you I think is going to depend on entirely how good your stuff is and what the competition is. At those prices they likely have lots of composers going for each job and it won’t matter to them if you get it or not, they make their money from presenting an oppourtunity.

Essentially they do what any music agency is doing but they charge their composers up front for being part of the process. The other model is nothing up front but you split the license fee / royalties.

3 Likes

So I subscribed to That Pitch and am not happy with it. Here is what I found. They really have only one pitch opportunity each month for a blanket license with some unknown tech company. This deal is that the tech company will take around 88 songs each month no questions asked in about 7 or so genres. The only amount you can land a track is for $250. I thought for sure there would be a range of amounts and tons of briefs. This is not the case! The worst part is that they sell your song outright to the tech company with only writers backend royalties, but the tech company is supposed to supply your info to your PRO not you. For those of us who have done this for years we know that PRO’s are slow even when you meticulously put in all your info on the back end yourself. So you cannot register songs with your PRO to submit. Sketchy right? Lastly, once a song is sold the tech company owns the master and publishing. This means the song is sold for good one time for only $250. It cannot be licensed again ever! I don’t know about you, but to make an instrumental track in about 2-4 hours is fast. However, you would need to land every single submission to make even a modest income plus you are paying around $40-$50 a month for a subscription fee. The community and freebies are supposed to add value, but the “courses” Mark created are really just him free flowing in front of a camera with no real production value or even logical flow. I would stay way from That Pitch. It seems like a shady business to me.

1 Like

@Dubson

I’ve read my comment again, and I want to make something clear. It’s not particularly bad if you pay someone for something (subscription) based-model. However, IF I pay someone, I want to see the value, and I want to see opportunities that will…

1. Cover my time
  2. Cover my studio costs
  3. Make me money in order to grow

If this is not the case, I don’t see any value in those models at all. I will still critique the market, as long as artists are not paid fairly enough for what they deliver to the world, however, as long as most artists really do care about their art, music, etc. on then we will see a change, as I would really like to see a world where we don’t have Spotify and all of those subscription based-models where only the tech-companies make insane profits. But it’s NOT the consumer’s fault. It’s OUR fault that we don’t do anything against it.

I just want to share this picture, that says it all…

I was asked by a singer-songwriter to produce an album. It’s not possible, as the costs are so high for the artist, that I can’t help him. Even to produce one single is not in comparison with what I know this guy will earn on that platform. That’s why we see low-quality stuff everywhere. Not because the people are not good enough. Because they can’t pay producers to make something awesome. Instead, they grab a guitar, record their voice, publish it and say: “Stream my music!”

Even labels are not supporting artists like it has to be, and there are reasons, as they can’t even break even after investing into the production. And as long as the big players will not change the model, the business will fall apart sooner or later. I mean seriously, why do have artists promote their gofundme pages in order to record one single song. This is not only sad, this is a disaster. But the biggest disaster is that nobody is doing anything about it. But everyone continues to complain. By the way: I don’t complain, as I don’t publish any of my music on those platforms where nobody cares about my music. Even if I would hit 1 million streams, it is not worth it and I know some guys who already made it and they are not very happy.

However, I still think that we will have something else in the future, that will finally break this Spotify monopoly where artists can finally see some fair income in order to make even more awesome music that millions can enjoy.

By the way: There are only 0.2% of artists out there who make $50k a year from Spotify. That says everything about the streaming model. I don’t say that streaming is shit, I think it’s amazing, but we have to see a ROI on everything that we do. I see more and more musicians who quit. And that makes me sad, as there are so many amazing artists out there that get not even a fair chance to prove themselves, as again: Money is the issue to everything…

1 Like

Another trend I’m not too fond of is subscription based music library licensing. It’s like the Spotify of the music licensing world. Even though artists/composers have a better chance of making money this route than joinimg companies like that pitch, etc. It still doesn’t add up to enough money to make a decent living. They basically sign a bunch of different composers and artists and compile a bunch of music into their libraries. They charge customers anywhere from 100 - 300 a year. And content creators get access to all and any music they want on these sites. And can basically do whatever they want with these songs forever. They pay artist based on how many downloads he or she receives using some formula only a genius would understand. Worse part about it is that huge brand companies can sign up and use music without having to pay any type of substantial sync or licensimg fee to the artist. AND the owners of these libraries are racking in the doe if they’re successful and market right. Of course there are some that may pay better than others, but musicians still get the bad end of the stick and are not given what he or she deserves in my opinion. I happen to work with one and I actually received a placement with a really popular company and didn’t get what I felt I deserved. And they’re not even required to credit the composers for music usage which I don’t even get. When it comes down to it’s about who you know and learning the art of networking and so many other things to grow your music career in a financial way. Just that one right connection could get you a life changing movie or TV placement. Trying to maneuver through this business on your own is a crap shoot. Good luck

I had been submitted with this for 3 months ! And personally I hate this website. Sent them more than 20 tracks but nothing got selected ! Nothing !!! No feedback . No emails! No results! Only the monthly payment! And disappointment!!!
1 I graduated from music college with film composition major , of course my songs are not the best in the world. But not mean they are not good for THATPITCH! All my friends even my professors are compared my songs and their uploads! No one understand why I have no even one track got selected!

1. For only 250$. They want exclusive licenses!! For only 250??? I don’t think that’s the good price for composers

2. I removed all of the tracks from them. And right away I sold one to the video game Stiudio! So that mean my tracks are not that bad

So personally do not recommend anyone to join them. Don’t waste your money and don’t distort your enthusiasm !

They are not worth the effort and wait

1 Like