Friktion Modeled Strings - Help me to evaluate it

Hello people.
I would like to share a video with the capabilities of the new Reason instrument. Friction-modeled strings. Instead of a library of samples, it uses synths and lots of articulations in a smart and versatile way.
I share the video with two recipients: Experts and beginners.
First, I’d like to hear from our string library experts on the sound and the possibilities.
Second, by watching the video, beginners could get a first idea of ​​what articulations are and how important expression is in achieving natural sound.

Please, share your opinions.
Cya

2 Likes

First impression:

I’m not really hearing much realism in terms of tone in any of the demos so far, but I suspect much of that is because the performances are way too clean and stiff, and the “bow scratch” features (which are there!) are not used nearly enough to make the onsets and bow changes sound convincing. As always with these things, the “canned expression” of sampled instruments is not there, and instead needs to be performed, or it will just sound like the synth that it essentially still is.

However, the “open” design (as opposed to hardwired instruments as is usually the case with these things) is very interesting, and apart from improving the chances of actually tweaking some realistic sounds out of this thing, I suspect there are immense expressive and sound design capabilities here.

Speaking of expression, I suspect something like the Osmose could be interesting here, but unfortunately, I’m still waiting for mine - but maybe breath controller and/or Touché could work as well.

Either way, I’ll try to play around with it a bit in the next few days, and see what I can do with it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks David.
I also have the impression that maybe it is not the best strings instrument, but surely you can use its tools to create interesting expressions in other sounds. And learning to play it in deep it could sound quite well. Seem to be quite agile in the articulation, in a real time imput playing, speeding up the workflow.

1 Like

Seen a few of these. My impression is that they are really into something with that approach. I think that this way of programming will probably become the norm in a few years and they’re ahead of the game. They’re the only developer who have really gone into THIS much depth in terms of auto sequencing every single parameter.

Sadly I don’t think the samples themselves sound real at all… however, this would be ideal for Pop music, without a doubt. I just wouldn’t use it for orchestral stuff.

So I’d probs Say that my conclusion would be that I love it… simply because it does all the right things with the wrong samples… :joy:

But I very much doubt their target audience is aimed at orchestral composers :stuck_out_tongue: this would be very welcome in my library though for other jobs!

2 Likes