Example of a Good Track Description before you Post Your Music

Hello Composers, Mike here! This is one of my compositions, but the point here is to show how a “good description” can look like when you post your own track for feedback in this section. :slight_smile:

Track Description: A dark and evil composition with a powerful evil boss vibe, with a sense of authority from the marching groove.

My Creative Vision: My vision for this track was to show the essence of insanity and chaotic vibe among the twisted mind of darkness. The dark lord, and his minions holding a parade in his honor in the massive fires of hell itself!

Composition Overview: The composition starts in A minor, but with lots of dissonant chord changes, and rapid modulations of key throughout to really bring forward the chaotic vibe.

It is in 4/4 but basically all rhythms are written in triplets which makes the overall groove very loose and open. Compared to a standard 4/4 marching vibe, I wanted the evil beasts of hell to be rebels even in the way to march. :stuck_out_tongue:

I also included a very dark and menacing breakdown which contradicts that marching vibe, and acts as a tension-builder and to boost the evil vibe.

Main Sounds: The sound palette is very focused on the brass section, and heavier overall on the low end range. There are a lot of layered staccato rhythms and stabs on strings and brass, even syncopated ones, to really get that chaotic yet powerful rhythm across.

16 Likes

Very nice demonstration of your expertise.
Your analysis corresponds very well to your composition, and one feels very well this heavy atmosphere, and as you explain the modulation which arrives of an abrupt way demonstrates well the chaos which reigns in this world of blackness.
Thank you for making us enjoy this composition, which for my part, will serve as an example.

1 Like

Thank you Jean-Michel, that is very kind of you. :slight_smile:

Just to clarify, I would like to point out that when I mentioned “good example” it is referring to the track description and composition analysis in the post.

I would love if every track posted gives as much insights as possible as it is a great way to learn for fellow composers. Both technical insights of the composition/production, as well as creative vision insights on how the composers thought when making the music. :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Mike

1 Like

Enjoyed this track a lot. The changes in rhythm strangely reminded me of a Russian themed film, maybe war film!

I would perhaps add a bit more depth to the drums in certain parts, mainly through reverb etc but thats more mixing preference perhaps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

an epic soundtrack, it reminds me a little of the Russian villains of the movies, the changes of modes are incredible, I like the change in time 0:58 . And a surprising ending, I like that riser sound

1 Like

Thanks Ben and Luis, you guys are right haha. It does have a Russian vibe to it, but it was not my intention when writing it. But yeah I could see this in some Russan war movie now that you mentioned it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wanted lots of harmonic changes, and the main thing is still the triplet grooves against a 4/4 marsh which feels like “rebels” against natural order hehe.

I think you are right Ben, I could have had some more deep drums on some places. I am looking to eventually get HZ Percussion to expand my palette to those deeper and very roomy types of percussion sounds. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hz drums certainly looks great, there’s a few drum libraries, lesser known ones I’ve found for trailer music that are also surprisingly very good for that

1 Like

Really damn good. Maybe my favorite piece of yours. The use of the parallel minors is done innovatively and achieves the desired creepy effect. The trailer-ish effects aren’t overdone and are used very musically. You didn’t make the drums excessively wet–and I liked that. It allowed the musicality of the piece to take center-stage, rather than the production.

1 Like

Thank you Everett, indeed the emotional and performance outcome is always my favorite part of music. I think I am a more artist-centred composer than a producer based. :slight_smile:

Enjoyed this, also agree with the Russian-sounding elements, especially near the beginning. To me, it also sounds a little piratey (I don’t think that’s actually a word…) here and there - Russian pirates perhaps?
I like the triplet-based melody, which, with the shifting harmonic structure, is reminiscent of Danse Macabre - in parts - by Saint-Saens, definitely in a similar spirit (no pun intended!)!

1 Like

Thank you Aidan, my vision was to create a mix of chaos blended in with a military vibe. I did not think of Russia, but I agree now afterwards that it does have strong features of Russia in it. :slight_smile:

This composition is great. Especially the piece that starts on 1:38. I like this because I think this is a really strong theme and it works very wel.

Production-wise I’d made the volume difference slightly larger from 0:55 to 0:59, so the impact is bigger. On 1:40 you did exactly what I meant.

But, I think the brass and the rest of the orchestra sounds really realistic to me! Good job.

Theu

1 Like

In a sense it reminds me of the scenes in the, “Lord of the Rings”, movies. In which the scenes goes back and forth between the goblins, large gruesome monsters, and the others. I like it very much. Thanx for sharing.

1 Like

hello,
great track, i like it, it make me think to world of warcraft and diablo
i will use also a taiko in low tessiture to add low sound and resonnance
great composition

1 Like

I thought the same as Ben! Loved the rly rack but thought the drums just needed a bit more weight. I usually do this by making a drum verb bus where I take the subs out and the highs down to 800hz and add a bit of that into my drum mix. Really makes the percussion pump!

:smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Geoff, oh that is an interesting concept, I wish to explore that so tell me more. Like a plate reverb for the percussion group, or what kind of reverb, size etc?

1 Like

I tend to use a hall reverb at like 4/5seconds long… often I use Valhalla vintage these days but a good plate works great too. Perhaps you could try the Tony plate by soundtoys? Having said that. For around a year o used chroma verb because I love it a lot. It’s very transparent so works really well for beefing up drums.

1 Like