Ennio's dream - Nostalgic song for a beauty provider

Track Description : Melancholic soft song with some Morricone feeling, and some stolen phrases. :stuck_out_tongue:

My Creative Vision : My favourite pieces among Ennio’s cathalog are the emotional ones, althought I must admit that western pieces are also funny and very personal. But creating moving melodies and harmonies, he was a great one. That way, my song tries to create a similar feeling. With nostalgic in mind I focused on the creative person behind the myth, and his relation with our own story. That is why I chose the picture you can see attached. It is a creator trying to order his ideas, taking notes, planning his music, in a sometimes untidy studio, but taking gold out of his brain and his heart. Creating something precious and bringing joy to the listener. Now he is gone forever and the old studio will wait empty, but our souls will be gratefull for his legacy.

Composition Overview : The song is formed by 4 different parts. In some moments Ennio’s well-known musical phrases appear, but showed in a different harmony that they used to.

The first part has got a swelling strings with a piano remembering “Cinema Paradiso” and “Malena”.
The second part introduces a piano background with notes from “The Mission” played by flute and harmonica. The third part is formed by a piano background mixed with an acoustic guitar and aerial female voices. In the fourth part the guitar takes the background and the piano goes forward, with flute and harmonica bringing notes from “Once upon a time in America”, “The Mission” and some other.

If somebody is interested in the chords cadences: ( a nightmare :sweat::stuck_out_tongue: )

• Fadd9 - F - C7sus4/F - Fsus4 - Gm - Am7 - Ab6(no3) - Eb/G - Fm - Gm7/F - Eb/G - C/G
  • Fadd9 - F - Fadd9 - F - C7sus4/F - Fsus4 - C7sus4/F - Fsus4 - Gmadd9 - Gm - Am7 - Am - Fm7/Ab - AbMaj7 - Ebadd9/G - Fm6 - Ab6(no3)/F - Bbadd11/F - Bb/F - Ebadd/G - Eb/G - C7
  • Dm7/F - D9 - Gm - Am7/C - Dbdim7 - Dm - Dmadd9 - Eb/C - A - FMaj7#5/A - A
  • Fadd9 - Fsus4 - FMaj7sus4 - Bbadd9/F - Dm - Am - Gm7 - C - Fsus4 - F - Dsus4 - Dm - (Bb,E,F) - Bb - Gsus4 - Gm - C/G

Main Sounds : I have tried to use sounds that are characteristic in Ennio’s music like guitar, harmonica, female voice, flute, strings.

Guitar: Ample Sound AGML2 Lite.
Flute: Reason sounds and Engine 2 Low whistle.
Strings: Spitfire BBC SO, and LABS Swells emsemble
Pianos: Reason sounds.
Harmonica: Sonic reality Acoustic Folk
Voices: Engine 2 Era II

I hope you enjoy it.

The link is:

6 Likes

Hi Vincente,

bravo! You did a genious job on that! You absolutely wrote in Maestro’s style.
I am not sure, but I feel the female solo voice itself does not fit perfectly? Maybe it was intended to be.
Anyway very well composition, I really enjoyed listening to it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sincerely yours,
Michael

1 Like

Thank you Michael. I,m glad you like it.:+1:
What do you mean? Is the voice out of tune, or the style is not the right one? The voice part is my favourite one :thinking:

1 Like

Hi Vincente,

i didn’t want to critisize you or your track, a female voice is absolutely perfect at that place.
Maybe its the library or too much reverb on it but it feels a bit “tipsy” to me. Maybe it is only a personal taste - I am not sure.

Cheers,
Michael

2 Likes

Lovely piece Vicente. The harmonica added the perfect touch and gave it a bit of that “Western” feel to it. Many Morricone-like elements here; it’s a great tribute.

Excellent Job!

2 Likes

I thank you Matt. Harmonica was the last addition. Originally, there was only flute in the melody but I dicided to include the harmonica becouse it was an iconic intrument in Ennio’s carreer.
It is great you like it. :+1:

2 Likes

Please Michael. Critisize it :pray:. I learn more from the things you don’t like or disagree. So please, hit hard when necessary. I’m completely gratefull with any constructive review. :handshake:
My doubt about the voice was that maybe a more operistic feeling would fit better in Ennio’s style, but I tried this celtic voice and I loved the result. About the reverb, my problem is that I’m in love with supermassive Valhalla, jejejejej :exploding_head: :rofl:. I must control myself in the future. :innocent:

2 Likes

My doubt about the voice was that maybe a more operistic feeling would fit better in Ennio’s style, but I tried this celtic voice and I loved the result.

nothing wrong about that. the most important thing is, that YOU like it - mostly in terms of getting your own style. Even if we do a contest in the style of someone else, you should stick to your own ideas where you’re confortable with. (I think it was also mentioned in the interview @Mikael had with Richard Schieber) So your desicion to a celtic voice was absolutely perfect and as you said an operal would have fit also. So nevermind.
And valhalla massive is a beast. :slight_smile: I also use only Reverb2000 and Bright Room, as these are the only decent ones in there.
We are here to experiment, and I really appreciate the discussions and the tipps in here. Its a fellow community.

2 Likes

Thank you @VSHDEL
I´m impressed again. I´m beginning to feel you guys in the forum here a little bit as different profiles.
You being the one doing the most “interesting” pieces in terms of instrument and chord progression choices. Think you shine with guitar, accordion and harmonica.
I think this will be a strong contribution.

2 Likes

I thank your words Fredrik. You are really kind.:handshake:

1 Like

I agree with the remarks about the voice, It sounds like it belongs in a New Age piece by Enya and does not really fit the Nostalgic Genre. I was extremely fortunate to have Sample Tank and used one of the voices from that for the female voice and used my own voice for the male part. The fact that everything else is so nicely done with beautiful harmonies makes the female voice that much more incongruous to the piece. I also think you could have done a stronger more imaginative ending, that’s one of my areas too that I need to work on, I sort of let them kind of wind down and run out of steam. Great job though and a thoroughly enjoyable piece.

2 Likes

Thank you very much Gary. I write down you good tips. :+1:

1 Like

Vicente. This piece has a nice touch and I could easily see it as score for a movie scene. My constructive feedback would be to be careful with chorused piano sounds - as sometimes they sound dated (1980s CP80 sound). That said, it was nicely played and fit in the track well. I liked the long reverb and sound space overall. To me, the only processing that was a bit distracting was the delay on the voice and that it pulled to the left. The chords starting 2:37 felt a little heavy (too low in register?) to me and took on a focal point which I don’t think you intended. The harmonica and flute makes for a soothing and interesting sound. Good call. Great job.

Brandon

2 Likes

Thank you Brandon indeed for your deep review. I must consider that the voice has result too much aerial for some of you. My piano was constructed with to different pianos, a secondary one flatened just to add complexity to the first one. I will work harder in the future with this technique to combine “polyinstruments” better. I see what you detected on the final chords. Too compact. Spreading the notes higher will work better.
Maybe, I could update to a second take of my entry. It would be my first time updating before the deadline, but all your tips has been constructive and could really make the song upgrade, and a better learning process for me.
I think the rules admit editing the song until last day. If I find the time, I will work on it.
Thank you again Brandon. You are very kind and a real leader in every composition aspect.

2 Likes

Thanks Vincente for the kind words. I’m glad the feedback was helpful and I’ll check out the update if you do one.

2 Likes

Hi there.
I’ve just updated my entry to a new version, including some ideas from your tips.
The changes are mainly:

• New piano sound.
  • Some guitar chords open.
  • In the vocal section I left the previous vocals as the back second voices, and I have included new vocals more in Morricone style. :wink:
  • To develop a more complex ending I have created a new strings melody in “tempo rubato” in the beginning of the song. And at the end I recover this motif to create the final part.

I have take this reversion as an exercicse. Could I remake a song after a client revision?
Thank you all the good fellows for your great ideas :+1:

I hope you like the changes.

1 Like

Great job!

Very nice indeed! A lovely blend of some of my absolute favorite Morricone pieces. The vocal part is a bit loud in relation to the rest of the mix, and could perhaps have used the support of some subtle strings, or maybe woodwinds? That part is absolutely beautiful from a composition and voice leading point of view, though!

1 Like

The revisions, sonically and musically, make this a stronger and cohesive piece. I think the nostalgic tone comes through better as well. Beautiful.

You have shown that being able to receive feedback (from self and others) and to apply appropriately is a worthwhile skill. Congrats! :smiley:

1 Like