“Enduro” is my entry for the Action Music Contest (July 2020).
I envision this music behind a complex and high speed motorcycle racing scene in a theatrical movie. Not to spoil things, but our action figure is triumphant in the end!
Some techniques used:
- high energy drums to create drive
- low drum hits for dramatic effect
- typing type sounds to increase nervous energy and to give a sense of time ticking
- big brass and hits for dramatic cues
- weird bowed cymbal sounds and double harp glisses to create uncertainty
- chromaticism in strings and woodwinds to add tension
- low contrabass clarinet for low-end darkness
I also wrote about 45 seconds of suspenseful underscore before this cue. The long version along with the score can be found here.
The music was written entirely in StaffPad for iOS and I wrote the entire cue without going to a keyboard (with exception of the last 3 chords). Not writing something at a piano is a departure for me so I am happy about this. I mixed final levels, added reverb/ambience and mastered in ProTools before outputting.
I look forward to your feedback and I hope you enjoy my composition!