Ein Heldenleben 2048 - Scifi Epic Hybrid

My challenge was to try and write a piece that had very contrasting sections, but that would connect and meld naturally. I’m not sure I did that, but the challenge was useful nevertheless.
I imagine this piece to represent a person (or even replicant!) who is disillusioned with their sublife in some seedy city in a remote corner of the galaxy. Hitting bottom, sitting in the rain, they make the decision to leave the drudgery and grime once and for all, heading out into the black in a stolen spacecraft, to see out their days amongst the magnicent and radiant stars.
The piece is in A minor for the most part, but ends in the relative major, C, representing the peace and fulfillment of the new found home amongst the stars.
The opening section is a blatant homage to Vangelis, I know, but I used that to try to set the scene more easily, as many people would identify the motif and instantly create an environment or setting in their minds. The second theme/melody is then repeated in the finale, as a way of showing the transition from misery to bliss. I can’t deny that I was playing a lot of Richard Strauss around the time that I was creating this and I tried to get a feeling of this in the finale section.
Tons of libraries used (NI, 8Dio, British Drama Toolkit, Synthmaster, Ethera EVI, Performance Samples and others) and also too many tracks for me to manage in a cohesive way. I’ve been try to build some templates to help me get more organised, but I haven’t come up with an effective one yet and still tend to add new tracks as I think of them/ need them.
Happy to hear any comments and feedback about the style, mix, feel and general technical side of this music.
Thanks for taking a listen!
Regards, Adrian

2 Likes

I am liking it, you did a very good job!

1 Like

Thanks, Jimmy, for taking a listen and feeding back to me.
Regards, Adrian

1 Like

You are very welcome. The song was worth my time. It is really good.

1 Like

Writing as I’m listening.

Opening: fantastic, like the background noise.
Piano part: a tad too much compression for my taste, would keep this a little more dynamic.
Piano lead with the strings: this sounds a little fake MIDI, was this on purpose.
Vocal part: cool, like the progression in the bass in the second round
Break: like the sound, maybe I’d chosen a different key to step out of the A minor feel, the end before the solo violin is a little too jazzy for me, feels like you’re breaking with the style here.
Violin: great programming here, well done!

Good job!

2 Likes

Thanks for taking a listen and commenting, Rinus! Feedback like this is just what I’m looking for.
I’m not sure what you meant by “fake MIDI” with the piano part?
Regards, Adrian.

I can feel your story unfolding. Very well done! I would love to watch a visual with the track!

2 Likes

Thank you! I guess I managed to achieve something for you, the listener. That’s rewarding for me. And encouraging too!
Regards, Adrian.

Beautiful song Adrian.
Veeeery Vangelis intro and outro. I see it as a perfect soundtrack medley
Congratulations.

1 Like

Thanks, Vicente.

The song and harmony are great. They reflect what you are envisioning.

I would though work on the Mixing and Mastering, I feel that the voices and many instruments are centered to the middle. I would try to spread the sound so that it sounds more bombastic and full. I would also work with the reverb so that the sound appears to be from a huge stage, we are after all somewhere in the galaxy which is pretty large :).

I hope this helps, although I consider myself by no means an expert.

Best,

/Peter

1 Like

Ya that’s the Vangelis for sure, I like the transition into the solo piano, unexpected which is cool. The whole track is like an homage to different composers and music themes all in one song. The string ending section would be cool to hear some of that in the beginning of your song as well but it doesn’t sound any less good keeping it the same too. Only part I could see differently is the electronic pop section, this is a great song, nice work. How many tracks in all this?

1 Like

Great work you did.The opening is very grand and the voice part and the violin part is very nice

1 Like